Boeing 737 Max8 Crashes

Jun

Re: Boeing 737 Max8 Crashes

Post by Jun »

Trump started his presidency in January 2017 and the 737 certification was in March 2017. So whilst technically, the process was completed during his presidency, most of the years of work to certify would have been before he started and according to procedures in place beforehand.
We could hardly expect rewriting of FAA procedures during the first 2 months of his presidency. Whilst he's a terrible president, I couldn't pin the blame for the certification on him.

Additionally, it may become quite difficult to identify which routes have 737 max and ordinary 737 planes, due to branding variation and late scheduling of planes to routes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhorton ... ently/amp/

So avoiding entire airlines might be the way forward. Of course, the 737/A320 segment sell in such volumes that an awful lot of flight experience will be gained when it is eventually back in service. Also any minor incidents are likely to be reported by the media.
Remember how, after the acceleration issue, every Toyota recall made the news for a few years, whilst those from other manufacturers were ignored? I think Boeing will get the same treatment by the media, who are not known for their objectivity.

I might strictly avoid the plane and airlines operating it for 2-3 years, then upgrade it to "non preferred" based on a large number of them in operation. 3 years of running these probably gains more experience than 5 years of larger low sales volume planes.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Sorry but I don't agree. Of course the certification happened 2 months into Dump's FAA but the first accident did not occur until over 10 months into his Presidency. And as we continue to find out pilots unions etc were filing reports about the dangers in this airplane and the fact that the FAA was not responding to any of these worries. It was Trumps FAA that failed to respond to problems that were evident to pilots .

10 months is a long time for no action being taken and I'm sorry but when you put unqualified people in Cabinet positions and you make it plain that your Presidency is about profits especially for big corporations, bad things can happen.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I'm referring to the certification process.

You are disagreeing about a totally different point in the timeline, which is the FAA response to operating concerns. Possibly including the first crash.

I happen to agree with your criticisms of their response after the first crash. Even more so after the second crash, when the US only responded after most other major countries stopped operation of the plane. Boeing were delinquent. The FAA were delinquent. I believe Trump was still tweeting support for Boeing after the second crash, when someone fit to hold the presidency should have been asking questions. Which makes him delinquent at that point in time.

But, that is NOT part of the certification process, which is what I was discussing.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Jun wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:58 pm I'm referring to the certification process.
I agree with that!