Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Jun

Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Post by Jun »

For once, I hope the virus comes out on top.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:25 pm I don't remember (if I ever knew) what happens now in terms of leader of the US.
In the following order:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... succession
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

I was an atheist until today ..on hearing Trump and Melania have the Virus ...there is a God .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bluemoon wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:56 pm Trump and Melania have the Virus ...there is a God .
"He could have done it sooner, but I thank Him anyway."
Rosemary Harris (Mrs. Doring), 'The Boys from Brazil'
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Thanks GB for the sequence of succession if the President becomes disabled, Vice President, etc. My next question is who or what mechanism gets to determine that the President is incapable of performing his required duties.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Has he tried injecting bleach yet?

On the other hand, if he and Pence become incapacitated and Nancy takes over, it's all a Democratic plot to steal the election.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:03 pm it's all a Democratic plot to steal the election.
Maybe the Republicans will find out two can play at that game . . .

RichLB wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:51 pm My next question is who or what mechanism gets to determine that the President is incapable of performing his required duties.
That is covered by Section 4 of the 25th amendment to the Constitution:

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have a question of my own. Suppose the virus incapacitates Trump to the point he cannot continue his presidency or continue running for a second term or dies? What happens to the election in that circumstance? Who would become the Republican candidate? How would that person be selected when the election is only a few weeks away?

I can't imagine the Republicans would stand by and see Biden run unopposed. I don't know of anything in the Constitution that covers such a possibility. My guess is the Republican National Committee would have to come up with an alternate candidate - and fast.

I know who I would select:

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:58 pm I have a question of my own.
I was under the impression that the vice President is the answer to your questions.
What happens if they are both incapacitated is an interesting question.

Earlier in the year, I noted some Americans considered it rather irresponsible of Mr Biden to take so long to name his second in command, considering he's rather fragile himself.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Jun wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:07 pm...irresponsible of Mr Biden to take so long to name his second in command, considering he's rather fragile himself.
What have I missed? Are you aware of data I am not that suggests Biden's health is compromised? From what I observe and have heard. he's in excellent health.