N Korea

Captain Kirk

Re: N Korea

Post by Captain Kirk »

Just been listening to the lengthy Trump interview speaking mainly on the NK summit. Now I know it's not the done thing to say so as many only seem to want to hear when Trump says something controversial or stupid but I thought he spoke wonderfully well throughout. Sounded very relaxed and made a lot of sense.

hallelujah
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

When 99% of what he says is idiotic and from a man who despite his claims is not smart or well educated and is stealing all the money he can for him and his family , I cannot imagine he will really accomplish anything . Oh he will try to put lipstick on a pig but Kim will never denuclearize .

Trump loved to criticize the Iran Deal but he will never come away with the inspections that the Iran Deal had. His National Security Advisor is an extreme War Hawk and is constantly in his ear. Bolton has been a failure at everything he was able to talk Presidents into pursuing.

At most he will come away with some minor promises which most likely will not be fulfilled and he will use the useless Twitter feed to try to convince the stupid people who voted for him that he has accomplished something.

After all every day he tells those voters he is building a Wall when he has not built 1 Foot. He is beginning to start a Trade War with Canada , a country that the US has no trade deficit with . But with China he wants to let them steal more of our secrets by letting a crooked Telecom company back in the US. But of course that was worth a $ 500 Million Dollar infusion into a Trump Project and of course dozens of Trademarks for his daughter.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:I cannot imagine he will really accomplish anything
I don't see anything wrong with Trump simply personally meeting Kim, glad-handing, some friendly chit-chat, and nothing much more. I believe the best chance for anything at all substantial coming from this "summit" would be if someone - someone who knows what he's doing - does the actual serious negotiating. If Trump wants to take the credit for it, fine with me.

My guess is much of the negotiating has already taken place and the "summit" will mainly a formality.

It would be nice if there is a truly positive outcome without resulting in what amounts to another 1938 Munich.

We will see.

My prediction, and I hope I'm wrong, is that will never happen and Trump will do the negotiating himself - and that means he'll either end up making things worse than they've already been or nothing of any substance will result from the meetings.

That's my prediction and I can only hope I will be proven totally wrong.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

My reading is that President Moon will attend and he will do his best to keep Trump and Pompeo on some kind of reasonable track. If Bolton is there and has any major input, I believe the talks are doomed.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Always good to hope but Trump has proved himself to be a Bull in the China Shop. They will not give up their nuclear weapons IMHO and thus if Trump makes a deal it will be so back loaded it will never happen. Maybe he can make some of the people that voted for him believe that he accomplished something.

Plus in reality I don't believe for a minute that China wants North and South to become one Korea and quite likes the North being dependent on them.

Unless Kim is a mad man he realizes if he ever sent a missile at the USA his entire country would be destroyed and him with it. We have plenty of mad men in the world with Nuclear Weapons and we rely on them not doing anything so stupid.

I am more worried about transfer of the technology to other bad actors to be used in a Dirty Bomb etc . Russia and the USA have enough Nuclear weapons to destroy the whole world . Unfortunately Trump was an addition of one more Mad Man.

If Mattis ever resigns then I will head for the Bunker!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:if Trump makes a deal
I really don't know just what Trump hopes to get from this. I also don't know what Kim hopes to get.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

So now it is Bolton who gets his comeuppance. He will not be travelling to Singapore for the meeting with Kim. How many times will a Secretary of State have been told "you're not wanted, pal" on a matter of huge national importance? As I loathe Bolton, I hope it's a prelude to dismissal, but fear it's not.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Just to be precise, John Bolton is not the Secretary of State but rather National Security Advisor a post that does not require Senate Confirmation.

Unlikely he could ever receive Senate Confirmation even with the current Lap Dogs in the Senate!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:Just to be precise, John Bolton is not the Secretary of State but rather National Security Advisor
That is correct.
wikipedia wrote:The current Secretary of State is Mike Pompeo. On March 13, 2018, President Donald Trump dismissed Rex Tillerson and nominated Pompeo, then Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, to replace Tillerson.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Apologies for not getting Bolton's position correct. CNN today was speculating that he deliberately made the Libya example in an attempt to scupper the talks and that this is the reason he is not going to be in Singapore. If he's is not in fact there, wonder how long it will be before he is fired!