Eddie Fisher Dies at 82

Gaybutton

Eddie Fisher Dies at 82

Post by Gaybutton »

Singer Eddie Fisher Dead at 82

From Ninette Sosa, CNNRadio
September 24, 2010

(CNN) -- One of the most popular singers of the 1950s, Eddie Fisher, has died. He was 82.

Fisher died of complications from hip surgery Wednesday, his family said.

"Late last evening the world lost a true America icon. Eddie Fisher, 82, one of the greatest voices of the century passed away in Berkley, CA due to complications and a decline in health from a recent hip surgery," his family members said in a statement. "He was loved and will be missed by his four children: Carrie, Todd, Joely, and Tricia Leigh as well as his six grandchildren. He was an extraordinary talent."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/09/ ... google_cnn
Rogie

Re: Eddie Fisher Dies at 82

Post by Rogie »

I have to show my ignorance here: I never knew Fisher was a singer. In fact I never knew anything about him at all apart from having been married to Elizabeth Taylor.

Is anyone on this board a fan, or maybe used to be in their youth? If so would you agree with the comment in that quote above that he was "one of the greatest voices of the century. . ."
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Rogie wrote:would you agree with the comment in that quote above that he was "one of the greatest voices of the century. . ."
I wouldn't go as far as that, but he was definitely quite famous and sought-after in his day.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think Rogie is maybe showing his age a bit there. Fisher's hayday - more as a fairly famous lounge singer versus any "voice of the century" - was mainly in the 1950's and before. I remember seeing him on a few television shows when I was under 12-15 or so and he also acted in a few movies. Nobody under about 50 likely has a clue who he was (other than, perhaps, that he was Princess Leia's father?).
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Perhaps some people don't know who he was is because after he dumped Debbie Reynolds (Princess Leia's mother) to marry Elizabeth Taylor (who dumped him for Richard Burton) his career went in the toilet. He did have a good voice, but was a bad actor.