Book Reviews

Rogie

Re: Book Reviews

Post by Rogie »

fountainhall wrote: Can I refer you to the thread "Bangkok Board Participation". I wrote about Bangkok Found there. I have also read Lost Japan and can tell you the latest one is just as good.
Bless my soul, I completely missed that entire thread!

I feel bad about that because having now had a chance to read it, I realise I was duped. Sincere apologies Fountainhall.

If I'd seen then what you wrote about Lost Japan and Bangkok Found, I wouldn't have responded in the way I did. It looks like I just copied bits and pieces of your post - please rest assured that was coincidence.

Unfortunately I think what happened was a contributor on this 'Everything Else' forum, who is now an ex-member, tried to be clever and posted a review of Bangkok Found. That being the first I'd heard of that book, set off my chain of posts, blithely ignorant of the fact I was just parroting what everybody else (thanks to Fountainhall) already knew!

Now I know that Alex Kerr has lived in Bangkok for many years, the reservations expressed in my post regarding his bona fides to write about Bangkok more or less evaporate.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

thaidave wrote:.....we have been getting all 3 Steig Larson books over the last few weeks but they are popular and dont stay on the shelves long as they are 350baht from Asia books and we sell them used for 160/180 of which you receive 50% back in credit off the next book/s
Much appreciate your input Thaidave. I will be sure to visit your bookstore next time I'm visiting Pattaya. I like the name too, Canterbury Tales - I'm sure Chaucer would approve!
ajarn2

Post by ajarn2 »

I dont see such a good deal of bookshops in Pattaya.
I do go to thais for life bookshop in yensabai,however must try Canterbury Tales.

I dont like new bookshops by the way.
Bob

Post by Bob »

if you like to read a lot, you can't beat the Kindle for both price and availability (although some of the books noted here aren't available from Amazon). And the coverage here (Thailand) is great....you can download wirelessly from anywhere (at least that's been my experience).

[For example, the three Larsson books cost me in total $6.64, $7.59, and $9.99. And my latest download the other day was tome John Adams by David McCulloch and that cost $14.99. Reasonably priced in my view. Last season, I'd guess that the average cost of a book at one of the bookshops in Chiangmai or Hua Hin cost about 450 baht each or more and the selection at times wasn't all that great.]
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Rogie wrote:I feel bad about . . . Sincere apologies Fountainhall
Absolutely none required. It's hard keeping track of all the threads, let alone what is said in them! This one I remembered - but only because I had contributed to it! I doubt if it will be in the second hand shops for a while as it only came out at the end of last year. It's also not the sort of book you read and throw away. I find I still keep dipping into it from time to time.
thaidave

Post by thaidave »

Book Lovers I am offering a fun competition and free top selling Thai book as a free prize, please visit my facebook Book club
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canterbur ... 29?ref=sgm
thaidave

Post by thaidave »

some more stock
thaidave

Post by thaidave »

One of our offers
ajarn2

Post by ajarn2 »

I have read nearly all the Thai prison books.
"The Damage Done" by Warren Fellows is good but rather outdated.
"Welcome to Hell" is much later and better in my opinion.

I did read "Forget you had a daughter" by Sandra Gregory who is from the U.K,she served about 8 years in a Thai jail before being transferred to a UK Women's prison,ironically she wanted to be transferred back to Thailand after sitting in her maximum security UK prison cell for up to 23 hours a day.
She was released in 2004 and in December 2009 entered Thailand and was refused entry at the Airport.