King Charles III banknotes to enter circulation mid 2024

Gaybutton

King Charles III banknotes to enter circulation mid 2024

Post by Gaybutton »

King Charles III bank note designs unveiled

“This is a significant moment, as The King is only the second monarch to feature on our banknotes,” Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey said in a statement.

by Reuters

December 20, 2022

The Bank of England unveiled its first bank notes featuring King Charles III on Tuesday, which will enter into circulation from the middle of 2024 to gradually replace those featuring his mother Queen Elizabeth II.

Charles became king in September following the queen's death after 70 years on the throne.

The new five, 10, 20 and 50 pound polymer bank notes feature a portrait of Charles on the front, as well as a cameo of him in the bank notes’ see-through security window, but are otherwise unchanged from their current designs.

“This is a significant moment, as The King is only the second monarch to feature on our banknotes,” BoE Governor Andrew Bailey said in a statement.

The queen first appeared on BoE bank notes in 1960, in contrast to British coins which have long featured images of the country’s rulers.

Britain’s Royal Mint began issuing the first coins featuring Charles’s profile into general circulation on Dec. 8.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/king ... -rcna62517
whitedesire

Re: King Charles III banknotes to enter circulation mid 2024

Post by whitedesire »

The earlier numbers when released will be worth some money, collectors item.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I thought it was badly timed recently introducing new £50 notes.

Also, in most recent instances where new notes have been issued, the old ones were withdrawn quickly. However, I suspect that was partly as the new notes have better security features. Obviously this change is not due to security features, so different rules apply.

Finally, with plastic bank notes and them not being used as much, I guess the old ones will last for years.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:31 am Finally, with plastic bank notes and them not being used as much, I guess the old ones will last for years.
Thailand is using plastic notes for their 20 bah notes. I don't like them. They tend to stick together.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I like plastic bank notes. When counting out the larger denomination UK notes, you quickly learn to slide your fingers to avoid handing over more notes than intended.

However, the machine at my local laundry didn't assept either of my perfect 20 baht notes.