Queen Elizabeth dies at 96

Gaybutton

Re: Queen Elizabeth dies at 96

Post by Gaybutton »

Being American, I don't think it is appropriate for me to comment on all the pageantry for Queen Elizabeth, but to my knowledge her reign was longer than any other monarch in all of known history.

How do these ceremonies compare to the ceremonies for King George VI?

I liked the ceremonies for King Richard III after his remains were discovered. Nothing at all like this, of course, but I thought it was very tastefully and appropriately done. After all, his reign was only just a bit over 2 years. I also like how it turns out that maybe he wasn't such a bad guy after all.
Jun

Re: Queen Elizabeth dies at 96

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:38 pm Being American, I don't think it is appropriate for me to comment on all the pageantry for Queen Elizabeth, but to my knowledge her reign was longer than any other monarch in all of known history
Being careful about your comments is probably wise. I've also avoided comments on such events in a certain other country.

However, I certainly wouldn't be offended by any criticism & suspect one or two other British contributors here would be the same.

I just about accept our arrangements for head of state, but I am not at all happy about a national anthem that mentions god. That is increasingly out of date in a country where many people don't follow any religion. I refuse to sing it.

I believe she's the second longest reigning monarch, behind one of the French. Not going past him is unfortunate.