Boris Johnson Resigns

Gaybutton

Boris Johnson Resigns

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm sure most of you, especially if you're from the UK, already know. Of course it is all over the news.

If you haven't seen the news, you can start here: https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/uk ... index.html

thewayhelooks

Re: Boris Johnson Resigns

Post by thewayhelooks »

Johnson quit as foreign secretary in July 2018. I don't see what this has to do with today's events.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Boris had to go, as we cannot have a persistent liar continuing as PM.

Also, they have zero chance of winning another election with him in charge. If they choose the next leader carefully, there's a chance of keeping Labour out.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:52 pm Johnson quit as foreign secretary in July 2018. I don't see what this has to do with today's events.
It doesn't. I put it in just to show how long this has been going on. In my opinion Boris Johnson has been essentially the UK's Donald Trump. For you gents from the UK, I am glad for you that he is gone.

The UK ministers had the guts and integrity to resign, which is far more than I can for American politicians.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:21 am In my opinion Boris Johnson has been essentially the UK's Donald Trump.
Boris is somewhat incompetent and dishonest with it, but he's not THAT bad.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

From what I have been reading, so far it looks like the UK's next Prime Minister will come from the Tory party and Rishi Sunak currently stands the best chance.

Being American,I know very little about UK politics. I have trouble enough trying to make any sense out of American politics, so I am curious about what those of you from the UK think. Are you in favor of the Tory party? Are you in favor of Rishi Sunak?

If I understand correctly the two major political parties in the UK are the Tory and Labour parties. Is that correct?

What are your own thoughts about how all of this will play out - and whether or not you're going to like what ends up happening?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:14 am If I understand correctly the two major political parties in the UK are the Tory and Labour parties. Is that correct?
The two major parties are Conservative and Labour. The Conservatives were previously the Tory party, but became the Conservatives in 1834. The old name is sometimes used, but in particular it's used almost without exception by the left wing press.

The next leader will be Conservative, since they have the majority in Parliament.

I would prefer something to the right of the Conservative party, but in the absence of that, I'm in favour of the Conservatives. Labour are far too left wing for my tastes. Too much tax & spend, which is wasted as politicians are terrible at capital allocation. Actually, politicians are terrible at managing anything, so the less they spend, the better.

I'm not sure who will be the next leader, but someone with a few brain cells and some work ethic would be good. So not Liz Truss or Grant Shapps. Rishi Sunak would probably be OK.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

That explains some of my confusion. When I would read something about the Conservative party and something about the Tory party I couldn't see how one was different from the other. Now I understand - two different titles for the same party.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Similarly, I had no idea what the US newspapers were talking about with references to "The GOP", until I googled it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Here's the list of remaining runners to replace BJ. Although with poor timing, the list may be whittled down further by the time you read this.
Ethinic minorities and women well represented. Although I doubt any of the latter would be anywhere near as good as our first female PM.

(Edit: Suella Braverman eliminated)