Captain Kirk finally going to space - for real

Gaybutton

Captain Kirk finally going to space - for real

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm glad the captain is going to finally make it to space. I think it is quite fitting.

James Doohan, who played Scotty on the Star Trek series, also made it to space - kinda sorta:
Wikipedia wrote:A portion of his ashes, ¼ ounce (7 grams), was scheduled the following fall for a memorial flight to space with 308 others, including Project Mercury astronaut Gordon Cooper. Launch on the SpaceLoft XL rocket was delayed to April 28, 2007, when the rocket briefly entered outer space in a four-minute suborbital flight before parachuting to earth, as planned, with the ashes still inside. The ashes were subsequently launched on a Falcon 1 rocket, on August 3, 2008, into what was intended to be a low Earth orbit; however, the rocket failed two minutes after launch. Some of Doohan's ashes are hidden under the floor cladding of the International Space Station's Columbus module - after being smuggled aboard in 2008 by Richard Garriott. The rest of Doohan's ashes were scattered over Puget Sound in Washington. On May 22, 2012, a small urn containing some of Doohan's remains in ash form was flown into space aboard the Falcon 9 rocket as part of COTS Demo Flight 2.

William Shatner, 90, is headed to space on a Blue Origin rocket

By Chloe Melas, CNN

October 4, 2021

(CNN) - Captain Kirk is headed to space.

Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin announced Monday actor William Shatner, 90, will be on the next Blue Origin flight alongside and Audrey Powers, Blue Origin's vice president of mission and flight operations, Chris Boshuizen and Glen de Vries.

The New Shepard NS-18 flight will lift off October 12. The journey will take 11 minutes and soar past the Kármán Line, the internationally recognized boundary of space.

"I've heard about space for a long time now," Shatner said in a press release. "I'm taking the opportunity to see it for myself. What a miracle."

And it has been a long time coming. Shatner has been pretending to live in space since the 1960s, when he played Captain James T. Kirk on the hit television series "Star Trek." He went on to star in seven "Star Trek" films.

He's also the host and executive producer of "The UnXplained" on The History Channel, which explores the inexplicable, including aliens.

https://us.cnn.com/2021/10/04/entertain ... index.html