Military coup in Myanmar - Suu Kyi arrested

Gaybutton

Military coup in Myanmar - Suu Kyi arrested

Post by Gaybutton »

They may not be calling it a coup, but it certainly seems like one to me. The military says it is declaring a state of emergency for 1 year. Why? They claim election fraud. Hmmm, I wonder where an idea like that could have come from . . .

Oh well, I guess no trip to Myanmar for a while.

Myanmar army says carried out detentions in response to election fraud

Aung San Suu Kyi detained, ruling party spokesman says

1 Feb 2021

Myanmar's army declared a state of emergency on Monday as it said it carried out detentions of senior government leaders in response to fraud during last year's general election.

A video address broadcast on military-owned television said power had been handed to the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, Sr Gen Min Aung Hlaing.

Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior figures from the ruling party have been detained in an early morning raid, the spokesman for the governing National League for Democracy said on Monday.

The move comes after days of escalating tension between the civilian government and the powerful military that stirred fears of a coup in the aftermath of an election the army says was fraudulent.

Spokesman Myo Nyunt told Reuters by phone that Suu Kyi, President Win Myint and other leaders had been "taken" in the early hours of the morning.

"I want to tell our people not to respond rashly and I want them to act according to the law," he said, adding he also expected to be detained.

A military spokesman did not answer phone calls seeking comment.

An NLD lawmaker, who asked not to be named for fear of retaliation, said another of those detained was Han Thar Myint, a member of the party's central executive committee.

Myanmar state media MRTV is having technical issues and is unable to broadcast, the network said on Monday, just hours after the NLD said leader Suu Kyi and other senior figures were detained.

"Due to current communication difficulties we'd like to respectfully inform you that the regular programmes of MRTV and Myanmar Radio cannot be broadcast," Myanmar Radio and Television said on a post on its Facebook page.

Soldiers were deployed outside City Hall in Myanmar's main city of Yangon, a witness contacted by telephone said.

The witness said that a dozen soldiers were in front of the building that houses the city administration while several military trucks and vans stood nearby.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/20605 ... tion-fraud

Myanmar govt leaders detained, military declares state of emergency for 1 year

Feb 1, 2021

YANGON -- Myanmar's State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi, President U Win Myint and other senior officials have been detained by the military early on Monday, Dr Myo Nyunt, spokesperson of the ruling National League for Democracy (NLD) told Xinhua.

"I received internal reports about our state counsellor and president being taken by the military. As far as I was informed, Shan State's Planning and Finance Minister U Soe Nyunt Lwin, Kayah state's NLD chairman Thaung Htay and some NLD representatives of the Ayeyarwady region's parliament have been detained," the spokesperson said.

"Two members of Central Executive Committee of the party were taken and I am also waiting to be detained as I was informed by our members that my turn will come shortly," he said.

The Myanmar military TV declared on Monday a state of emergency in the country for one year after the government leaders were detained.

The state-run Radio and Television (MRTV) announced on its social media page that it was no longer working on Monday morning.

Telecommunications in capital city of Nay Pyi Taw and some other regions and states are also being cut off.

The first regular session of the new parliamentary session was scheduled to begin with convening the House of Representatives on Monday, the House of Nationalities on Tuesday and the Union Parliamentary session on Feb. 5.

The upcoming parliamentary sessions will elect speakers for both houses of the parliament and will form parliamentary committees while electing president and vice-presidents, as part of the forming of the Union Government.

Myanmar held multi-party general elections on Nov. 8 last year and the ruling NLD won the majority of seats in both houses of the Union Parliament.

https://www.nationthailand.com/ann/30402093