Senate Majority Leader

RichLB

Senate Majority Leader

Post by RichLB »

Yay, it looks like Georgia came through. Now I have a pedestrian question to ask. Since the composition of the Senate appears to be 50 Dems and 50 Republicans, how is the Senate Majority Leader determined? Does the VP break a tie vote for that position? And how about committee chairs - will she cast a tie breaking vote for those as well?
Gaybutton

Re: Senate Majority Leader

Post by Gaybutton »

There is precedent for it. In 2001 it was a 50-50 tie. Trent Lott and Tom Daschle ran the show for their parties.

To me, the most important thing is Mitch McConnell will no longer be in a position to stonewall everything as he has been doing. It will no longer be up to him as to what can be brought to the floor of the senate. I believe since the Democrats will be the ranking party with Kamala Harris as Vice President, those decisions will either be up to her or the ranking Democrat senator. In other words, the Majority Leader will be Chuck Schumer.

I'm hoping, probably up to no avail, that the death of the Trump presidency will also be the death of the rampant corruption and insanity among the Republican senators.

By the way, in Georgia the losing senatorial candidate can demand a recount only if the outcome difference is half a percent or less. It looks like that isn't going to happen, so bye-bye Loeffler and Perdue.