What becomes of Trump once he leaves office?

Gaybutton

Re: What becomes of Trump once he leaves office?

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Hopefully NY will put him in a jail cell which is certainly where he belongs. Too bad we can't put the Morons who voted for him in jail with him!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:03 am Hopefully NY will put him in a jail cell which is certainly where he belongs. Too bad we can't put the Morons who voted for him in jail with him!
New York prosecutors certainly want Trump's ass - and I hope they get it and whatever the sentence is, Trump gets the max. Maybe some of those morons will also end up in jail.

In any case, Trump is OUT and if things go the way they usually do in the USA, it won't take very long before much, if not all, of this insane Trump support will fizzle out. It would be great if every one of those politicians that signed on in support of Trump's effort to get the Supreme Court to overturn the election get voted out of office - beginning with Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio, and Jim Jordan.

I hope Trump does run again in 2024. He won't be the only Republican running and my morning laugh will happen if he fails to even get the nomination - better still not even come close.

Question: Is a person in prison eligible to run for president . . . ?

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I also doubt that Trump would get the nomination in 2024.

All things considered, the Republicans did very well in this election. It wasn't the Republicans who lost - it was Trump. In short, they probably won't need him in 2024. If anything, he would hurt their chances of winning - and they know it. Of course all of this hinges on the very real possibility that Trump could be in prison when the next election rolls around. Wouldn't that be nice!

Trumps base will almost certainly shrink over time. I know this is going to sound a bit naïve, but Americans, as a whole, don't like sore losers. Trump will spend the majority of his time over the next 2 years defending himself in both civil and criminal court proceedings - and the rest of his time sitting behind a microphone in his new media digs spewing the same lies over-and-over again, where even some of his hardened supporters will just get tired of hearing this.

Trump has clearly succeeded at identifying weaknesses in the laws that govern the U.S. Constitution and the electoral process, and put a dark cloud over this election in the process. I'll give him credit for that. But I'm a firm believer that what goes around - comes around, and see nothing but red-hot flames on Trumps path going forward. He deserves what he gets - and his swindling robotic family members deserve the same.

Go Biden!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I agree with every word in Dodger's post above.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Nobody says it better than "Cuomo":

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The New York Post has been a staunch Trump supporter. That has changed.

"I have not gone out of my senses. I've at long last come to them."
- Alistair Sim (Scrooge), 'A Christmas Carol'

New York Post to Donald Trump: Stop the insanity

By David Goldman, CNN Business

December 28, 2020

New York (CNN Business) - President Donald Trump's favorite newspaper has turned against him.

The New York Post, in an editorial that got the front-page, giant-font treatment on Monday, told Trump he needs to give up his baseless fight to overturn the presidential election result.

"Mr. President ... STOP THE INSANITY," read the front page of the tabloid, famous for outlandish headlines. "You lost the election -- here's how to save your legacy."

If that wasn't clear enough, the top of the editorial got right to the point:

"Mr. President, it's time to end this dark charade," the Post's editorial board wrote. "You're cheering for an undemocratic coup."

The editorial from the Post, owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. (NWS), is hardly the first time a Murdoch-owned news outlet has distanced itself from Trump and his refusal to concede the election. The Wall Street Journal's editorial board on November 6 urged Trump to concede once he was declared the loser (most other media organizations called the election the next day, and the electoral college voted for President-elect Joe Biden on December 14). The Journal argued Trump's legacy would be greatly diminished if his final act were "a bitter refusal to accept a legitimate defeat."
Fox News, owned by Murdoch's Fox Corp., has acknowledged Biden is the president-elect despite its prime-time hosts' defense of Trump's refusal to concede.

And at the Post itself, top Murdoch lieutenant Col Allan confirmed he will retire from the paper in 2021. Allan was instrumental in pushing the Post in a pro-Trump direction. Last summer, for example, CNN reported that Allan ordered the removal of a story on a Trump sexual assault allegation.
But the new editorial was notable for its sharp-worded dismissal of Trump's misinformation campaign about the election result and multi-pronged, flailing effort to remain in power.

The Post criticized Trump for undermining the election results long after his legal team found nothing to substantiate widespread election fraud that would have tipped the scales in Biden's favor. The newspaper called Trump election lawyer Sidney Powell "crazy," and it also said pardoned former Trump NSA director Michael Flynn was treasonous for his suggestion that Trump impose martial law.
"We understand, Mr. President, that you're angry that you lost. But to continue down this road is ruinous. We offer this as a newspaper that endorsed you, that supported you: If you want to cement your influence, even set the stage for a future return, you must channel your fury into something more productive."

The editorial insisted that Trump use his remaining days in office to fight for Republicans to win both Senate run-off elections in Georgia, lest Democrats gain control of both chambers of the legislature. Beyond preventing Democrats from enacting laws and regulations that Republicans detest, the Post noted a Democratic Senate could threaten the President's legacy. Republicans would be licking their wounds and less likely to listen to Trump, the Post argued.

"Democrats will try to write you off as a one-term aberration and, frankly, you're helping them do it," the editorial board wrote. "The King Lear of Mar-a-Lago, ranting about the corruption of the world."

The Post echoed concerns held by Democrats and Republicans alike that a lame-duck President Trump, unbound to any consequence and unswayed by shame, poses a danger to the future of the United States. The editorial board cautioned Trump against that approach, noting he still has something to fight for: how Americans remember him.

"If you insist on spending your final days in office threatening to burn it all down, that will be how you are remembered. Not as a revolutionary, but as the anarchist holding the match."

https://us.cnn.com/2020/12/28/media/new ... index.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Just when I thought there were no more bizarre new lows for Trump to sink to - along with his Republican ass lickers - guess what . . .

I'm surprised Raffensperger didn't just hang up on him. "Excuse me, Mr. President - I gotta take a dump. Bye bye."

Trump needs to either be in prison or in a mental hospital. As far as I'm concerned, take your pick. Where he does not need to be is in the White House.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Trump begs Georgia secretary of state to overturn election results in remarkable, hourlong phone call

“There’s no way I lost Georgia,” Trump said. "There’s no way. We won by hundreds of thousands of votes."

By Allan Smith, Julia Jester and Priscilla Thompson, NBC

Jan. 4, 2021

President Donald Trump begged Georgia's secretary of state to overturn the election results in a remarkable, hourlong phone call obtained by NBC News on Sunday.

Excerpts of the call, which took place Saturday, were first published by The Washington Post earlier Sunday.

The phone call featured Trump, days before he is set to leave office, pleading with Raffensperger to alter the vote total and launching into a barrage of discredited conspiracy theories about the election. Trump even suggested that Raffensperger may face criminal consequences should he refuse to intervene in accordance with Trump's wishes.

Raffensperger and his office's general counsel, Ryan Germany, pushed back on the president's claims and said President-elect Joe Biden's victory of more than 12,700 votes was accurate.

“The people of Georgia are angry, the people in the country are angry,” Trump said in the call. “And there’s nothing wrong with saying, you know, um, that you’ve recalculated.”

"Well, Mr. President, the challenge that you have is, the data you have is wrong," Raffensperger responded.

In a separate exchange, Trump said he wanted Raffensperger to "find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state.”

The president, since his loss in November's election, has sought to overturn the results by pushing state legislatures to appoint a pro-Trump slate of electors and promoting legal efforts that have fallen short. He has also sought to press top Republican officials in states like Georgia and Arizona to disregard the outcomes of elections in their states, baselessly alleging widespread fraud.

A significant number of congressional Republicans will challenge the results on Wednesday, they have said, though this is not expected to overturn Biden's win.

“There’s no way I lost Georgia,” Trump said. "There’s no way. We won by hundreds of thousands of votes."

Other Trump allies were present on the phone call, including White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and attorney Cleta Mitchell.

Georgia has conducted multiple recounts and audits of the vote since November. Recently, a signature match audit in Cobb County found "no fraudulent absentee ballots," Raffensperger's office announced.

At one point in the call, Trump alleged that votes were scanned three times.

"You know, they put ‘em in three times," Trump said, to which Raffensperger said the president's claim was untrue.

"We did an audit of that and we proved conclusively that they were not scanned three times," he said.

The president also sent a barrage of debunked conspiracies Germany's way.

"Do you think it’s possible that they shredded ballots in Fulton County?" Trump said. "Because is what the rumor is. And also that Dominion took out machines. That Dominion is really moving fast to get rid of their, uh, machinery. Do you know anything about that? Because that’s illegal."

At the onset of the call, the president cited his widely-attended rallies as one reason why he does not believe he lost. But he failed to connect his large crowds to his repeated defiance of state and local guidelines surrounding Covid-19. Biden largely avoided packed events for the same reason, hosting drive-in rallies and virtual gatherings instead.

"I think it's pretty clear that we won. We won very substantially Georgia. You even see it by rally size ... We've been getting 25,000, 30,000 people to a rally and the competition would get less than 100 people and it never made sense."

Raffensperger took issue with the numbers Trump was presenting on the phone call. After Trump claimed "thousands" of dead people voted, Raffensperger said that in actuality, that number was two.

"Two people that were dead that voted," he said. "And so, that's wrong."

Mitchell said they deduced thousands of dead voters based on a search of names and birth years in the state — a method that would not account for multiple people who have the same name and birth year — and asked for Raffensperger to provide them with additional records to help them determine dead voters.

Trump then interjected, saying dead people voted across the country and that he was "sure" that was the case in Georgia too.

The president has targeted Raffensperger and other top Georgia Republicans, including Gov. Brian Kemp and Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan, whom he called " a disgrace" on Sunday.

Tweeting at Raffensperger Sunday morning, Trump noted his conversation with the secretary of state.

"He was unwilling, or unable, to answer questions such as the “ballots under table” scam, ballot destruction, out of state “voters”, dead voters, and more," Trump said. "He has no clue!"

"Respectfully, President Trump: What you're saying is not true," Raffensperger responded. "The truth will come out."

Later Sunday, Trump called elections in swing states "UNCONSTITUTIONAL!"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... g-n1252692
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here's my favorite recent photo of Trump - because of the sign just above his head . . .

2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Trump needs to either be in prison or in a mental hospital. As far as I'm concerned, take your pick. Where he does not need to be is in the White House.
How about both, a prison for the criminally insane.