What becomes of Trump once he leaves office?

Dodger

Re: What becomes of Trump once he leaves office?

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:05 pm If Trump does have to face criminal charges and/or lawsuits, why do I think his defense attorney won't be Rudy Giuliani?
Wouldn't it be great if it was... :!:

Being from Chicago, the history of its most infamous criminal Al Capone is common knowledge. I find the similarities between Capone and Trump to be fascinating.

Capone, having lawyers who were masters at finding legal loopholes, and henchmen who used brutal and unthinkable techniques for influencing people, he was able to maneuver himself out of so many major crimes including murder, money laundering, extorsion, bribery, etc., etc., and was ultimately convicted of the somewhat lesser crime of income tax evasion which at least put him behind bars (11 years in Alcatraz).

I remember my grandfather telling us kids that half the city of Chicago loved Capone, and saw him as being a champion for the "people", and the other half hated him for being the ruthless criminal he was.

As different as these peoples opinions were when it came to Capone and his crime syndicate, they shared some very stark similarities when it came to their allegiance to "Chicago". Chicagoans see their City as being the best in the world...best sport teams...best restaurants...best people...best lifestyles, and openly display this with pride. The common thread that held Chicagoans together during the roaring 20's when Capone was in operation was their love and devotion for the City itself. I'm hoping, (fingers crossed), that Trump supporters and non-Trump supporters can rally around the one thing they all have in common when Trump is gone - and that's their love of country.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:37 pm
Gaybutton wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:05 pm If Trump does have to face criminal charges and/or lawsuits, why do I think his defense attorney won't be Rudy Giuliani?
Wouldn't it be great if it was... :!:
Good point.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

There is speculation that Trump will start his own TV show once he leaves office.

If he does, I have the perfect title for it:

Bob

Post by Bob »

Other than interacting with the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, I just hope he fades away. We've all had enough of that clown.

Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

Trump already has workmen doing renovations on his private residence at Mar-A-Lago, begun before the election. I'm happy to read that there may be complications with the Palm Beach municipal authorities--apparently the agreements made when he converted it into a private club don't allow for permanent long term residents. It's a small thing, probably easily resolved, but I'm petty enough to take enjoyment in any annoyance in his life, no matter how small. Also, I've read several articles speculating on the difficulties Jared and Ivanka might face on trying to reenter New York social life, if that's where they choose to move. Pity.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Captain Swing wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:07 am Trump already has workmen doing renovations on his private residence at Mar-A-Lago,..
Maybe the District Attorney in Manhattan is planning similar renovations for Trump on Riker's Island.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:04 pm Maybe the District Attorney in Manhattan is planning similar renovations for Trump on Riker's Island.
Perhaps a wider toilet seat for his oversized ass . . .

Here's a typical cell at Riker's Island. Maybe he can be Harvey Weinstein's next door neighbor. I wonder what's for dinner . . .

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trump is always talking about a hoax. Guess who's the one truly trying to perpetrate a hoax. Guess who's the one trying to steal the election.

I hope at least some of the Trump supporters are finally seeing through Trump. All Trump talks about is the election while more than a quarter of Americans have already died from Covid-19 and thousands more are coming down with it every day. Not one word about that.

And if Trump attends Biden's inauguration, I will be very surprised. My guess is while Biden is being sworn in, Trump will be winging his way to Mar a Lago - on Air Force One at taxpayer expense. If that happens, I would love to see police cars waiting to arrest him as he steps off the plane rather than a presidential motorcade - unless of course the motorcade destination is the county jail.

Trump knows he will have to face lawsuits and probably criminal charges once he leaves office. He also knows if he can remain in power, by the time he leaves office in January 2025 many of his legal problems will no longer exist due to statutes of limitations, but if he has to leave office in January 2021, none of his problems will have been solved by statutes of limitations.

I would love to see him screaming fraud and hoax upon conviction and being led out of court in handcuffs - and next time we see him he is wearing an orange jumpsuit. Even before any trials, when his attorney asks for bail the judge responds with "Bail is denied. The defendant is a definite flight risk even if he surrenders his passport. Defendant remanded!"

Trump may try to pardon himself, but fortunately all the legal experts I've seen interviewed unanimously agree there is no way he could get away with that. His only hope of getting out of any federal charges would be to resign and convince Pence, who would then be president until Biden is sworn in, to pardon him. Unless Pence is an utter idiot, he would never agree to do that. Better still, he does agree to do that, then Trump resigns, and then Pence doesn't do it. Either way, my respect level for Pence would go up several notches.

I can't imagine that Biden would even consider pardoning Trump or commuting any sentences if Trump is convicted on any federal charges. I believe Biden's position would be to let the law and justice run its course - without presidential interference.

All Trump gives a damn about is himself. He is a frightened, delusional, self-centered, self-serving, evil person. He knows he lost the election and no matter what he tries to do to overturn it, none of it will work. He couldn't care less about all the people dead and dying from Covid. The fact that so many people just don't see that or accept that - welcome once again to my "I Don't Get It" list.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Why am I not surprised?

Anybody want to tell me why Trump does not belong in prison?

Justice Department investigating potential presidential pardon bribery scheme, court records reveal

by Katelyn Polantz, CNN

December 1, 2020

(CNN) - The Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House or related political committee in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to court records unsealed Tuesday in federal court.

The case is the latest legal twist in the waning days of President Donald Trump's administration after several of his top advisers have been convicted of federal criminal charges and as the possibility rises of Trump giving pardons to those who've been loyal to him.

The disclosure is in 20 pages of partially redacted documents made public by the DC District Court on Tuesday afternoon. The records show Chief Judge Beryl Howell's review in August of a request from prosecutors to access documents obtained in a search as part of a bribery-for-pardon investigation.

The filings don't reveal a timeline of the alleged scheme, or any names of people potentially involved, except that communications between people including at least one lawyer were seized from an office that was raided sometime before the end of this summer.

No one appears to have been publicly charged with a related crime to date.

The White House declined to comment on the court filing. CNN has previously reported that associates of the President are making appeals to him in the hopes of obtaining pardons before he leaves office. There is no indication that any of those associates are being investigated by DOJ in relation to Tuesday's filing.

According to the court records, at the end of this summer, a filter team, used to make sure prosecutors don't receive tainted evidence that should have been kept from them because it was privileged, had more than 50 digital devices including iPhones, iPads, laptops, thumb drives and computer drives after investigators raided the unidentified offices.

Prosecutors told the court they wanted permission to the filter team's holdings. The prosecutors believed the devices revealed emails that showed allegedly criminal activity, including a "secret lobbying scheme" and a bribery conspiracy that offered "a substantial political contribution in exchange for a presidential pardon or reprieve of sentence" for a convicted defendant whose name is redacted, according to the redacted documents.

Communications between attorneys and clients are typically privileged and kept from prosecutors as they build their cases, but in this situation, Howell allowed the prosecutors access. Attorney-client communications are not protected as privileged under the law when there is discussion of a crime, among other exceptions.

"The political strategy to obtain a presidential pardon was 'parallel' to and distinct from [redacted]'s role as an attorney-advocate for [redacted name]," Howell wrote in her court order.

The grand jury investigation also appears to relate to unnamed people acting as unregistered "lobbyists to senior White House officials" as they sought to secure a pardon and use an intermediary to send a bribe, the unsealed court records say.

Prosecutors hadn't provided evidence to the judge, however, of any direct payment, and instead showed evidence that a person was seeking clemency because of past and future political contributions.

The investigators indicated in court that they intended to "confront" three people with the communications and complete their investigation.

Over the last week, the Justice Department told Howell it wanted to keep filings related to the matter confidential in court, because "individuals and conduct" hadn't yet been charged.

Trump has granted 29 pardons and commuted 16 people's sentences during his presidency, according to the US Pardon Attorney's office. Several of those have gone to people close to the President or whose names would make a splash -- including the 19th Century suffragist Susan B. Anthony, the former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, Bush-era adviser Scooter Libby and longtime Republican political adviser Roger Stone, who lied to Congress to protect Trump's efforts in 2016.

Just last week, Trump pardoned his former national security adviser Michael Flynn for lying to the FBI, undisclosed lobbying for Turkey and the waterfront of potential related crimes that Flynn could have faced in the future.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/12/01/politics/ ... index.html

Trump associates, including Giuliani, are asking for pardons

By Jim Acosta and Michael Warren, CNN

December 1, 2020

(CNN) - President Donald Trump's associates are making appeals to him in the hopes of obtaining pardons before he leaves office, a source familiar with the matter told CNN on Tuesday.

The source said the list of associates broaching the subject of preemptive pardons that would seek to shield those individuals from prosecution includes Rudy Giuliani, who has been leading the President's longshot legal battles to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election in his role as Trump's personal attorney.

Giuliani denied discussing a preemptive pardon with the President, telling CNN that the "(New York) Times is completely wrong." He further denied he has talked to anyone at the White House about a pardon for himself.

The New York Times first reported that Giuliani was discussing a pardon with the President.

It's not clear what potential criminal exposure Giuliani or other associates are attempting to preempt. But the source familiar with the discussions went on to cite what friends and allies of the President see as hostility from the incoming Biden administration toward Trump associates.

"Don't trust the Dems," the source said, describing the pardons being sought as "blanket" protection from future prosecution.

Nine individuals in Trump's orbit, including Flynn and Stone, have been indicted or found guilty of crimes related to a constellation of alleged criminal conspiracies.

The appeals come on the heels of Trump's decision to pardon his former national security adviser, Michael Flynn.

Last week, the President granted Flynn a full pardon, absolving him of charges related to lying to federal agents over his contact with the Russian ambassador to the United States.

Flynn's pardon was Trump's second act of clemency related to prosecutions of advisers of the President. Earlier this summer, Trump commuted the sentence of Roger Stone.

At least one major ally is appealing further to his instinct for self-preservation, suggesting a self-pardon should be issued.

On Monday, Fox News host Sean Hannity said on his radio show that the President should pardon his family and himself to avoid being prosecuted by the incoming Biden administration.

"The President out the door needs to pardon his whole family and himself," Hannity said, later adding, "I assume that the power of the pardon is absolute, and that he should be able to pardon anybody that he wants to."

https://us.cnn.com/2020/12/01/politics/ ... index.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »