Time for a poll - Who's going to win the USA Presidential election?

Who do you think will win the USA Presidential election?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:33 pm

1. Biden
64%
2. Trump
36%
3. A third party candidate
No votes
4. A write-in candidate
No votes
5. It will be a tie
No votes
6. Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes: 14

traveller123

Re: Time for a poll - Who's going to win the USA Presidential election?

Post by traveller123 »

The day has arrived.
I sincerely hope you guys get the outcome you desire.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Florida hasn't been called yet but Trump s leading by 3% and the polls missed Trump's strength. Get ready for a long night (or days). No Biden landslide.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Am surprised to hear this thread has gone quiet.
According to the Washington Post, Biden has 253. He's ahead in Nevada (6) & Arizona (11), so that could add up to 270, which I believe is enough.

This might be one for another thread, but if someone could explain the advantages of the US system with an electoral college, different rules for allocating the electoral college votes by states and about 2.5 months between the election and getting the turkey out of office, I would be grateful.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:02 pm if someone could explain the advantages of the US system with an electoral college
I think it's been quiet because throughout the past many hours it is mostly tallying the mail-in, drop-off, and absentee ballots. There will be no new announcements until the ballots have been counted.

The electoral college made sense when the USA was in its infancy in the late 1700s when it was established. There was no quick communication in those days, distances were hundreds of miles, and it was the "landed gentry" doing most of the voting. Without some sort of centralized forum in which to count the votes it would have been terribly difficult to know who actually had won the presidential election. The idea was to appoint electors who would all gather together and cast the votes for their state and determine the winner of the presidential election by that method. That is how the idea of the electoral college came about. If there was a mistake at the time, I think the mistake was making it a constitutional matter rather than a federal law. If it was a federal law, it would be much easier to make changes. But I can understand why they didn't because at the time it was too hard to predict whether a democratic republic was going to work, or work for very long. No other country was doing anything similar. There was no modern precedent to go by.

Despite the fact that the electors were on the honor system to cast the votes as the states voted there was, and still is, no legal obligation to do so.

The electoral college worked quite well - until recently. Now, with modern technology the electoral college is obsolete and there is no logical reason that I can think of to continue the electoral college instead of going by the popular vote. But to eliminate the electoral college would take a constitutional amendment, and that is just not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

I also think internet voting should be made available if and when the election security can be guaranteed. I don't see that happening any time soon, at least not until technology makes hacking and election interference impossible.

In other words, whether the electoral college still makes sense or not, we're stuck with it.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

With Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, and Pennsylvania being razor-close this has become a real nail-biter, but my confidence that a Biden victory is imminent remains un-wavered.

Biden has already received more votes than any presidential candidate in the history of America, although the sheer number of voters in Trumps "Red Wave", colliding with Biden's "Blue Wave", became a tsunami, thus the reason the pollsters data was so skewed. This is much more than an election. This is a movement.

From everything that the numerous legal scholars have been saying for months, (including recent comments during the election), Trump's attempts to stop the states from voting, as well as his frivolous and unfounded claims of "election fraud", have absolutely no legal basis and serve no purpose other than infuriating his supporters and casting him in the light of "A Victim".

Unfortunately, even with Trump out of office, there will sill be a huge divide in America that needs to be mended which could take years, if not decades to accomplish. It shouldn't surprise any of us if things violent in the interim, but as long as this tyrant and his robotic family members exit Pennsylvania Avenue that's all I care about. At least it's a start.

Go Biden!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:33 am This is much more than an election. This is a movement.
When it comes to Trump, the only kind of movement that comes to my mind is a bowel movement . . .

At the time of this post the ballots are still being counted, but assuming Trump is going to lose, what happens if he refuses to leave the White House? I think it is obvious he will try anything, say anything, and do anything to remain in power.

If he has to be physically removed from the White House, who actually does that? The local police? The Secret Service? The military? The FBI? A combination of several law enforcement agencies?

Also, a former president is entitled to Secret Service protection for the rest of his life. While I deeply resent one cent of my tax dollars being spent to protect Trump, how would you like to be a Secret Service agent on the detail protecting Trump if he does indeed end up in prison, which could very well happen. How would they do that?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:06 pm Also, a former president is entitled to Secret Service protection for the rest of his life. While I deeply resent one cent of my tax dollars being spent to protect Trump, how would you like to be a Secret Service agent on the detail protecting Trump if he does indeed end up in prison, which could very well happen. How would they do that?
I presume the answer involves building a Trump wing to the prison.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:54 pm I presume the answer involves building a Trump wing to the prison.
Maybe, but if it comes to that I see no reason why he should not be treated the same as any other prisoner. Maybe he can share a cell with Bernie Madoff.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Biden now leads in Georgia, if it holds there is no path to 270 for Trump.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »