USA Protests/Riots

RichLB

USA Protests/Riots

Post by RichLB »

I've been surprised there's been no comments about what's happening in the US. I'm torn in my reactions. The anger of African-Americans is more than understandable - and not just about the murder of George Floyd. Being black in the US is no picnic. One newscaster did a survey where he asked a random sample of black citizens, "How old were you when a policeman first aimed a gun at you?" Note, he did not ask if a gun had ever been pulled, but asked "when". Every respondent had an answer. I can only imagine what it feels like to be peacefully going about my business and having to look over my shoulder in fear of being slammed against a wall or even shot by a policeman for no reason. Sadly, this is a reality for young black men in America. The closest I can come is remembering what if felt like walking at night through West Hollywood in the years before Stonewall and feeling afraid of every passing police car. But, I could escape by leaving the area, black folks don't have that luxury. Adding to living with constant anxiety is the disparity in health care, education, employment, and every other amenity we white folk take for granted. I certainly don't support violence and looting, but how many times have protesters marched peacefully, singing We Shall Overcome, and nothing changes. .
DragonMaster

Re: USA Protests/Riots

Post by DragonMaster »

These riots are no longer about the murder of George Floyd. They are no longer peaceful protests about the the tragic circumstances surrounding his death. The officer responsible has been arrested and charged with 2 counts of murder, one charge of manslaughter, and one charge of 2nd degree murder. It’s time to put a stop to the carnage. Looting, shooting, and arson are not excuses for this kind of anarchy, nor is it a justification to blame white people for all of the minority problems. A lot of this crap is being fueled by a small number of individuals who come in from outside the area to encourage these activities.

It’s a shame that some people always want to play up the black race card. Not only is it divisive, but it does nothing to solve the issues that most minorities face. Prejudice is present against Asians, Latino’s, blacks, and whites. Some of the posters on this board think Thai’s hate foreigners, especially whites. I would submit some of the problem is caused by foreigners themselves based on their behavior. Same goes for some minorities in the US and elsewhere. When you throw bricks at police, or spit on them, or deliberately try to provoke a confrontation, you are part of the problem. This is not acceptable in a civilized society. I have a lot of black friends and none of them are out looting and setting fires. They are responsible people who deplore this lawless activity.

It is time to stop this violence now. Trade the rubber bullets for lead ones and warn the rioters that lethal force will be used if they are caught looting, shooting, or starting fires. Self preservation is a very strong deterrent.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I agree entirely with the principles and key points raised by Dragon Master.

In any country that has this kind of issue, the country needs to deal with the causes of the problem and simultaneously have a very firm crackdown to ensure ordinary people do not have their livelihoods damaged by rioting.

Dealing with the causes might include prosecution of offending police officers and ensuring there's a racially diverse police force.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Ignorance is Bliss. Blacks have been waiting for equality for 150 years since US Grant destroyed the Rebels and the Slave owners in the Civil War. They immediately found out that these miserable human beings would never stop when they assassinated Lincoln. Blacks have struggled since for Equality. Yes it has gotten better but certainly no where close to equality. All you have to do is look at the % of Blacks who have died from the Virus vs their % of the population. Just 3x worse.

As usual a bunch a people posting who are ignorant. I live in Atlanta , 1 block from Centennial Olympic Park. In case you are ignorant about where that is . it is the main area of demonstrations . Every day they have been peaceful until night time when rabble rousers come in from out of state . Their mission is to create the sort of ignorance exhibited in this thread .

Really use real bullets for people who are breaking windows and looting . Lethal force is needed to protect life and life only , not Nike shoes .

Should not be impossible for anyone including Gay Men to feel madness for the fact that Gay Fathers who may even be rich and successful have to sit their 16 year old sons down and explain to them about Driving when Black . Or warn them maybe they should not run for exercise because some piece of crap with a gun will shoot them down as happened recently and happens way too often.

Every time I hear that phrase that the USA is the greatest country in the world , my blood boils . Some things we have done have been great and lots of things have been wrong which is no different then most countries in the world.

Again get your heads out of your asses.The only person who has been assassinated is George Floyd and yet some of you would like police to use real bullets for theft. WAKE UP!!!!!
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I, too, deplore violence and rioting. But, then, I'm not black living in America. Peaceful protests and hand wringing by politicians has never worked to bring about change. The problem in the US is systemic and until those with entrenched power are threatened, the system will not change. It is not just about police brutality - although examples of that are numerous. The educational system organized by neighborhood schools stacks the deck against those living in poor neighborhoods. The health care system providing only rudimentary care to those who cannot afford insurance is a disaster. Housing options are bleak at best - in most "black neighborhoods" there are few diversions such as theaters, fancy restaurants, bowling alleys, public parks, swimming pools, etc. True, the reason is that such establishments are not likely to be profitable given the economic position of local residents. I could go on about the inequities, but I think we all know about them.
Violence, arson, and looting are inexcusable, but understandable. Until Americans develop empathy for what it's like to be black in the US, I doubt things will change. We have to recognize that the malfeasance of the police is just a symptom of a much larger problem.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

firecat69 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:18 pm The only person who has been assassinated is George Floyd and yet some of you would like police to use real bullets for theft. WAKE UP!!!!!
Actually, according to the Washington Post, there were 1004 assassinated by police in 2019.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ings-2019/
Bob

Post by Bob »

RichLB wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:40 pm Actually, according to the Washington Post, there were 1004 assassinated by police in 2019.
Bringing up that article indicating it in any manner suggests it's about "assassinations" is really inexcusable. And citing it in the context of the thread's subject of the Floyd death and systemic racism against blacks in the US is additionally inexcusable. The article notes that, out of the 1004 people killed by US police in 2019, 235 were black....and the article does not even suggest that any of the 1004 killings were assassinations, murder, or even inappropriate. And, according to the data listed, 848 of those 1004 events involved victims in some manner using guns (589), knives (171), vehicles (62), and toy guns (26) in their encounters with the police. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the data the article posts but I'm not about to emotionally distort what the article says.

I absolutely agree with many of the comments posted in this thread about the systemic racism in the US and I trust/hope that the justice system will appropriately deal with the four officers involved in Floyd's death; pending that, protests are totally justified and understandable although violence in my book is not.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Don't you just love the comforting, healing words from our nation's leader, that's the subplot of all this.
gera

Post by gera »

It seems what none of the posters understand is that the country in the middle of pandemic , lock down and 40 million people are currently unemployed. That what makes the current situation extremely dangerous. The law and order should be restored by all means or there will be a total break down. The current situation plays exactly in Trump hands. Vast majority of people wants a restoration of order. The looting is everywhere and in the day light. People are getting bitten and killed by the huge gangs of thugs. It is , of course, easy to discuss it from the comfort of peaceful Thailand. Please, do not forget though that the destruction of America will mean the destruction of your income too.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

gera wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:22 am . The looting is everywhere and in the day light. People are getting bitten and killed by the huge gangs of black thugs. It is , of course, easy to discuss it from the comfort of peaceful Thailand. Please, do not forget though that the destruction of America will mean the destruction of your income too.
So much garbage in this post it is hard to know where to begin. I just can't imagine where all those people are that are getting bitten and killed by gangs of Black Thugs. That would be Zero. Last time I checked the only person that has been killed is George Floyd in Minnesota and he was killed by a bunch of white cops. There are no huge gangs of Black Thugs. There are unfortunately some people looting stores and of course there is no excuse for that .

I am not in peaceful Thailand but rather right in the middle of what is happening in Atlanta, Ga where I live and posts like this could only be from a Trumpster which of course is what is wrong with everything in the USA. He let 40,000 Chinese in after he finally restricted them. He did not seal off Europe and he did none of the things that anyone of the last 20 Presidents would have done and the loss of life and economy would have been a fraction of what has taken place. He is a complete Moron and will be run out of town in November , but the damage he has done will be around for years!