Which of these 2020 Democrats agrees with you most?

Jun

Re: Which of these 2020 Democrats agrees with you most?

Post by Jun »

Up2u wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:46 pm
Gaybutton wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:39 pm For me, Priority 1 is getting rid of Trump. Priority 2 is getting rid of Mitch McConnell. Priority 3 is getting rid of any Congressman or Senator who stands with them.
On point, Bloomberg and Sanders will fall flat on all three priorities. I also wish Obama would not remain silent.
Being more towards the centre, surely Bloomberg would pick up more floating voters ?

If this ends up as Trump v Sanders, it would be a pretty poor advert for US democracy. In an ideal world, countries would have constitutions which prohibit certain candidates from standing, rather like Singapore.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Jun wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:05 am
Up2u wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:46 pm
Gaybutton wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:39 pm For me, Priority 1 is getting rid of Trump. Priority 2 is getting rid of Mitch McConnell. Priority 3 is getting rid of any Congressman or Senator who stands with them.
On point, Bloomberg and Sanders will fall flat on all three priorities. I also wish Obama would not remain silent.
Being more towards the centre, surely Bloomberg would pick up more floating voters ?

If this ends up as Trump v Sanders, it would be a pretty poor advert for US democracy. In an ideal world, countries would have constitutions which prohibit certain candidates from standing, rather like Singapore.
No little about Singapore but it is no ideal democracy. Bloomberg is not a centrist but a Republican at heart I believe. He gives to Republican campaigns and supported McCain over Obama. And what are you going to tell those young energetic young Sanders and Warren supporters?..... we are replacing one billionaire with another? Democrats need to cull the field quickly.... Bloomberg, Steyer, Klobucar, all of them, OUT now. If not the votes will be split and Sanders will win.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

There is a law in Australia that says all citizens above a certain age most vote or pay a fine, if the U.S. had a similar law and the final choice was Trump Vs. Sanders I’d pay the fine :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:56 pm if the U.S. had a similar law and the final choice was Trump Vs. Sanders I’d pay the fine
That would not be necessary. Don't forget, the USA permits writing-in whoever you wish and that vote would count provided your write-in choice meets the legal qualifications.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:22 am Unacceptable....
I agree. If Sanders can't say how much his proposals will cost and can't say how to pay for it, then that's not good enough.

Part of the article says, "this election winds up being like virtually every other election in which people vote on who is going to let them keep more of their money"

I agree with that too. I don't like the way this election is going so far. Unless something changes, I think Trump would win not because people are voting for him, but voting against the Democrat candidates. There is far too much bickering and arguing from the candidates. They need to get together and unify for the fight against Trump if they are going to have any chance of beating him. And one way to start doing that is for the candidates who are low in the polls to face facts, drop out, and throw their support to whichever candidate they think has the best chance of beating Trump.

I wish the Democrat candidates would stop this ridiculous arguing and start doing what it will take to defeat Trump because what's going on - that ain't it. Which is more important, bickering or getting rid of Trump? The way things are going the only thing they'll succeed in getting rid of is themselves. And if that happens, we'll all be stuck with 4 more years of Trump and a Republican majority.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:05 am I wish the Democrat candidates would stop this ridiculous arguing and start doing what it will take to defeat Trump because what's going on
Different from GB in the quote above I don't find candidates differentiating themselves ridiculous at all. How else is a voter to decide who to vote for? I find it useful to hear each one present their ideas and then hear others point out potential flaws. It is a debate, after all. They all agree Trump must be defeated, but there is plenty of time to take him on one-on-one once a Democratic candidate has been determined.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Last night's debate was a raucous, unmoderated, slugfest as the candidates formed a circle and opened fire. Surprised there's anyone still standing. Bernie took the most hits (and rightly so) mostly from Buttigieg, Warren went after Bloomberg again (he supported Lindsey Graham, Pat Toomey, Scott Brown in recent elections) and probably didn't help her case as much since Sanders is the leader. Biden had his best debate by far. Klobucar was flat and indistinguishable. Bloomberg and Steyer showed they didn't belong on the same stage. IMHO, Biden and Buttigieg helped themselves the most.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I agree with Up2u - Biden and Buttigieg were the most impressive. I think the rest of his assessments are right on target, as well. I was most disappointed with Warren - and I see myself as a progressive liberal. She has been becoming more and more strident with each debate and hasn't said anything new in weeks - only attacks which won't help the Dems in the November elections. Amy seems sweet and perhaps accompiled off the debate stage, but doesn't seem able to display any fire. I didn't think Bloomberg was as bad as Up2u does, but debates don't seem to present a forum for him to display what he would bring to the presidency. Steyer seemed to me to continually emphasizing his disdain for Trump, but I haven't heard what he would do if elected. Mayor Pete was his usual articulate and thoughtful self, but he was too polite to muscle through Warren and Bernie's shouting and the moderators hesitancy to allow him to develop his points. And, then, there was Biden. He impressed me. For once he shoved back at the misrepresentations levied upon him by Bernie. And finally there's Bernie. I thought his performance was terrible. To me, he seemed to not realize it's not the 60's anymore and was vague and misleading on how he plans to pay for any of the grandiose promises he keeps dangling and baiting the public with.