Technological Threats to Gay Rights.

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
thewayhelooks

Technological Threats to Gay Rights.

Post by thewayhelooks »

With rising homophobia and rapid developments in surveillance, a new era of persecution is all too possible, 50 years after Stonewall.

By Yuval Noah Harari author of 21 Lessons for the 21st Century.

From the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... bt-freedom
Gaybutton

Re: Technological Threats to Gay Rights.

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:11 pm With rising homophobia and rapid developments in surveillance
Fine with me. I'll start selling tickets and sue them if they watch me without buying any . . .

If any of these people actually want to watch me having sex, then I'm not the one who has something really wrong with him.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I think it kind of depends on what the technology is used for.

If that happens to be for preventing genuine crime and terrorism, it's fine by me.

There is then the grey area. For example, where, after a few terrorist incidents, China is allegedly being a little too firm in preventing religious extremism in parts of the country. As I've seen what happens when such extremism is unchecked, I am not entirely unsympathetic to the Chinese government.

Then there is the potential for outright repression. Governments in various countries of the world interfere in issues which should be for the individual to decide. Banning homosexuality is one example. Banning prostitution is another (e.g. Sweden). The US has tried banning alcohol AND banning holding gold. Actually, I think numerous countries have tried the latter over the centuries.

If technology is used to enforce any questionable legislation, then it's a backward step.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Once the technology has been developed, sooner or later, someone somewhere will always abuse it. Governments or security apparatus. That is a given. As for countering terrorism, I have no problem with that either Jun, but I don't like China's use of image surveillance on everyone. Which is why HK protestors wear masks and goggles. Such measures in democracies need transparency and over-sight. But don't always get it.