Taiwan’s rainbow tourism

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
ก้นconnoisseur

Taiwan’s rainbow tourism

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

The potential of Taiwan’s rainbow tourism

After the historic legalization of same-sex marriage, Taiwan is poised to reap the benefits of the LGBT tourism economy

Full Article:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar ... 2003715502
fountainhall

Re: Taiwan’s rainbow tourism

Post by fountainhall »

I am certain many in the LGBT community worldwide knew precious little about Taiwan other than its role during the Cold War, the continual stand off with China and, perhaps, its annual Gay Pride Parade which last year drew 140,000 participants. Being the first country in Asia to recognise gay marriage will inevitibaly bring it to the attention of a much wider gay public, some of whom will for the first time consider visiting as tourists.

I will be going to Taipei on Friday for 10 days. Too early to notice any jump in LGBT tourism. Perhaps by the time I return near the end of the year, I will.

For the many who wonder why Taiwan is the first and why other countries have been relatively slower, there is a very pertinent couple of paragraphs in that Taipei Times article.
Taipei distinguishes itself because “most of the gay eco-system is really homegrown and it’s self-sustained,” Chen [Darien Chen, regional marketing manager at Atlantis Events, a US company that produces gay and lesbian cruise and resort vacations] ssays.

In contrast, other Asian cities regarded as LGBT destinations may give tourists a good time, but are less conducive places for their own LGBT citizens to live, work and advocate for their own rights.
That is certainly true in Thailand and in all the other Asian countries I know.
ก้นconnoisseur

Re: Taiwan’s rainbow tourism

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

My favorite is the ending paragraph which really sums up Taiwan (spoiler alert):
“Taiwanese people are less economically driven. We’re about the small joys in life,” Chen says. “And that’s the charm.”