Cuba Crackdown on Gay Pride Parade

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Cuba Crackdown on Gay Pride Parade

Post by fountainhall »

One of the countries I wish I had visited is Cuba. In recent years it appears to have become more gay friendly and I have a number of gay friends who have visited and had a really great time.

For 11 years the island's governrment has approved a Gay Pride March that has gone off smoothly. Yesterday, there was supposed to be a March but approval was withdrawn unexpectedly and seemingly at short notice. Despite that about 100 LGBT activists still took to the streets.
After setting out on Havana's Paseo del Prado, one of the city's main boulevards, the marchers came up against a large number of police and state security forces.

At least three activists participating in the gay parade in Havana were detained.

. . . Last week, the state-run National Centre for Sex Education (CENESEX) said the official Cuban Conga against Homophobia and Transphobia march was cancelled because of "new tensions in the international and regional context".
What that gobbledygook means, I have no idea!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48242255