Same-sex unions recognized by Brazil's high court

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

From Marilia Brocchetto and Luciani Gomes , For CNN
May 5, 2011

(CNN) -- Brazil's Supreme Court ruled unanimously Thursday that the nation should recognize same-sex unions.

The court voted 10-0 in favor of recognizing the unions. One justice abstained because he had spoken publicly in favor of same-sex unions when he was attorney general.

The court ruled that the same rights and rules that apply to "stable unions" of heterosexual couples will apply to same-sex couples, including the right to joint declaration of income tax, pension, inheritance and property sharing.

The ruling does not allow same-sex marriage, but gay rights activists hailed it as an important advance for same-sex couples. Previously, decisions related to same-sex unions were left for judges to evaluate on a case-by-case basis.

Cleber Vicente, project coordinator for the Rainbow Group in Rio de Janeiro, called the decision "a historic achievement," the state-run Agencia Brasil reported.

"There is something to celebrate this result," he said. "It is a struggle that stretches for over 15 years."

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/ ... index.html
TheCornerBar

Re: Same-sex unions recognized by Brazil's high court

Post by TheCornerBar »

Now if I can just find a hunky, young, millionaire, chubby chasing, Brazilian, I’ll be all set!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

TheCornerBar wrote:Now if I can just find a hunky, young, millionaire, chubby chasing, Brazilian, I’ll be all set!
Well what's wrong with me? After all, I possess all but 5 of those characteristics . . .
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Brazil is looking at things with their eyes wide open. Hopefully, that comes from not just drinking all that coffee.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Do you think they would except Bolivian Quechua as payment for the license?