Obama grow a pair of balls

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Khortose

Obama grow a pair of balls

Post by Khortose »

Everyone has now heard that a federal court has issued an injunction ending the military's policy of "Don't ask Don't tell". The problem is that Obama does not want this to be an issue in the next election and may appeal the decision. Here is what one ex-military gay man has to say on the issue. Whether or not I continue to support this president will depend on whether or not he has the balls to support what he knows is right and fuck politics. Yes, here I become a one issue voter, and I am going to write everyone who represents me, and some who don't.

" Jonathan Hopkins, a former United States Army captain was honorably discharged because of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” law in August 2010. He graduated fourth in his class at West Point and was deployed three times to Iraq and Afghanistan, earning three Bronze Stars, including one for valor. His previous posts for At War can be seen here.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Every day in our Armed Forces, an average of one service member is discharged simply for being gay. Like a faucet left unrepaired for 17 years, our armed forces have persistently leaked away talented leaders. For the 65,000 who remain in uniform, they all face a daunting concern whether they will be next. So for them, today is a hopeful day. It is an indication that their long personal nightmare may be over. After today, we may never again see a capable and effective service member discharged from our Armed Forces simply because he or she is gay.

But not so fast. Every indication from the administration thus far has been that it intends to overturn this policy only through legislative action. Despite wanting to overturn “don’t ask, don’t tell,” the administration may appeal the ruling that overturns “don’t ask, don’t tell.” Why? Apparently just to get the process right. They would rather see Congress do the job. From the NY Times.

This is despite the fact that majorities in every quarter – the Obama administration, a majority of each house in Congress, and a super-majority of the American people – all publicly recognize the injustice and pointlessness of the current policy, as well as its vast cost in money, destroyed careers, and damaged people it leaves behind.

Even at the Department of Defense, they are not studying whether the ban should be overturned; they are studying how best to implement the inevitable change in policy. They all want to see it end. Yet these advocates of justice have not been able to move a bill out of Congress to achieve their objective.

Today, Judge Phillips solved their problem. Majorities of the country and in Washington D.C. are in deafening agreement with her. If the thousands of gay service members defending the country matter, we will solve this injustice immediately and not wait until we’ve figured out the process. We would identify the injustice here, see a rapid conclusion to it, and seize it.

Justice is at hand. Let’s not throw it away."