Marriage equality in CHILE

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
werner99

Marriage equality in CHILE

Post by werner99 »

Chile's Congress has approved same-sex marriage and gay rights by a large majority. The law also provides parental rights to same-sex parents and expands spousal benefits and adoption rights. Note the link for details. Bravo to Chile!
https://www.npr.org/2021/12/07/10622613 ... x-marriage
Ruthrieston

Re: Marriage equality in CHILE

Post by Ruthrieston »

Definitely Bravo to Chile! A great deal more civilised than dear old prejudiced Thailand, where we are now classified as a "different species".
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Ruthrieston wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:56 am Definitely Bravo to Chile! A great deal more civilised than dear old prejudiced Thailand, where we are now classified as a "different species".
I concur that Chile deserves applause for its government's progressive stance on gay marriage. But I take exception to painting Thailand as "prejudiced". From my experience Thais are about as accepting and non-prejudiced as you can get in relating to gays. (Admittedly Thais do seem to have a problem with skin tone, but that's a different issue.) I have never heard of bands of homophobic young cretins harassing youngsters here as is unfortunately common in most Western countries and I won't even compare Thailand to middle eastern countries. Trans folk seem to not only be accepted here, but the pretty ones are exalted in nationally broadcast contests. Gay couples seem to be as accepted everywhere as any other paired people. While I'm disappointed Thailand's government has yet to approve gay marriage, let's not color Thailand as a bigoted country.
Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

So glad that you are happy to have the Thai courts classify you as a "different species".........
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Ruthrieston wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:11 am So glad that you are happy to have the Thai courts classify you as a "different species".........
No need for sarcasm, but do accept that translations from Thai to English might account for that unfortunate phrase.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:34 am accept that translations from Thai to English might account for that unfortunate phrase.
The idea that the translation might be incorrect had not occurred to me. You could very well be right. However, either way it is obvious that the top Thai court regards us as different, and different in a negative way and should be treated differently and denied rights.

That does not, in my opinion, speak for the Thai people at all. I have never been mistreated in any way by Thai people because of my sexual orientation. The court might see us that way, but I have neither seen nor experienced anything that tells me the Thai people see us that way too.