Dual pricing to begin for farang at Thai government hospitals

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Dual pricing to begin for farang at Thai government hospitals

Post by Gaybutton »

Just in case it is not clear, the dual pricing will apply to government hospitals, not private hospitals.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

By Coconuts Bangkok

Sep 2, 2019

Dual-pricing isn’t just for national parks, museums and amusement parks anymore.

Thai public hospitals can now legally charge foreign nationals higher rates for services under new regulations published Friday.

More than dual-pricing, the new regs set four tiers of rates that can be charged based on a patient’s visa status. Treatment costs are set at four levels: Thai nationals, foreigners from neighboring countries and working foreigners on non-immigrant visas. The fourth group consists of tourists and retirees.

While foreigners from other ASEAN nations appear to pay the same rates as Thai patients, they increase significantly for the third group – which includes most expats – while retirees and tourists really get the shaft.

For example, a simple antibody screening costs Thais and ASEAN residents THB130. Most expats will pay THB190 while retirees and tourists pay double – THB260.

Want an HIV test? The THB160 charged to Thais and ASEAN nationals goes up to THB240 for working expats and THB320 for retirees/tourists.

Thailand’s medical tourism brought in an estimated THB18.4 billion baht ($US600 million) in 2018, but most seek treatment at private hospitals.

On the higher end, a spinal MRI that costs Thais and their neighbors THB18,700 jumps up to THB23,375 for working expats and THB28,050 for retirees/tourists.

The new rates come into effect Sept. 29.

The new rules essentially make it legal for public hospitals to charge more of foreign nationals, something that has been a source of complaints over the years when it happened illicitly.

Late last year, media reports said the health department and Hua Hin Hospital would refund over THB20,000 (US$650) to a Dutch man following years of complaints he’d been made to pay hundreds of baht in extra charges every time he traveled from Prachuab Khiri Khan for cancer treatments. It was unclear whether Erwin Buse ever received the compensation.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/dual-p ... hospitals/
Undaunted

Re: Dual pricing to begin for farang at Thai government hospitals

Post by Undaunted »

I gather this has been the norm for some time at Queen Sirikit hospital in Sattahip.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:41 pm I gather this has been the norm for some time at Queen Sirikit hospital in Sattahip.
Correct. A few years ago, my bf was being treated there. They had a sign posted noting that foreigners would pay more - as I recall, I think the sign said it was 50% more (than that paid by Thais).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:59 am I think the sign said it was 50% more (than that paid by Thais).
Even so, it would still be quite inexpensive for farang (although it was American money that built Sirikit Hospital in the first place during the Vietnam war). For a government hospital, Sirikit Hospital is one of the best.

While for most of us a private hospital is certainly preferable, private hospitals don't work for everybody. If anyone in the Pattaya area needs a government hospital, if you can get there I'd say Sirikit Hospital is the place to go.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:59 am
Undaunted wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:41 pm I gather this has been the norm for some time at Queen Sirikit hospital in Sattahip.
Correct. A few years ago, my bf was being treated there. They had a sign posted noting that foreigners would pay more - as I recall, I think the sign said it was 50% more (than that paid by Thais).
Farang are charged approximately 20% more than Thai nationals at Queen Sirikit which is peanuts considering how low the standard fee's are for medical services. I have never seen a sign posted at QS stating the fact that farang pay more, although have had several conversations with the girls who run the finance department who enlightened me on the facts.

QS is a military hospital, where military family members pay the lowest fee's. Thai nationals, who are not connected to the military pay slightly more, and farang a bit more than them. Regardless of the fee structure they have in place, I can tell you from first-hand experience that the fee's charged at QS are about 70% lower than any private hospital, including of course, the rip off fee's they charge at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

I just received service at Queen Sirikit for the third time in the past five years for an abscess on my back. Total fee's, which included doctor exam, lab test, minor outpatient surgery to remove abscess, one weeks supply of antibiotic,s and a mild pain killer, for a whopping 712 baht, which would have cost upwards of 7,000 baht at BPH. Last year I had varicose vein surgery on both legs which included medical exam (2 different doctors), ultrasound x ray, a 2 night stay in a private room, anesthesiologist, surgeon, prescription meds and follow up exam for a total of 21,000 baht, which would have easily cost 100,000 baht or more at BPH.

I would select a good private hospital in the event I needed life-threatening surgery such as open heart surgery, due to the fact that Queen Sirit does not appear to have equipment and/or techniques which reflect the latest in medical technology. Bungrungrad in Bangkok would be the safest bet if my life was a stake regardless of the costs.

The fact that Queen Sirikit are charging me a bit more than a Thai for service doesn't bother me in the least.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I went to Sirikit along with my bf about five years ago. Both of us registered and I was charged double the price as was posted on the sign. Not a pleasant experience at all. My bf was treated so rudely by a nurse that he didn't even wai her. I had a serious foot ulcer and went through the pre-exam routine. The signage is all in Thai and English skills extremely limited.

I sat there for hours in a huge waiting room with many Thai people wheeling their sick family members in wheelchairs and on gurneys. The whole experience was depressing and I took pictures and then left.

Went to BHP the next day, saw a doctor, had minor surgery and left in two hours. About 2,500 baht. Told the doctor I would buy my meds at Fascino (next door).

I know farangs that lack the resources, see Sirikit and other government hospitals as alternatives to private hospitals but they are not for me. I know farangs that were misdiagnosed (probably because of not having state of the art equipment) and ultimately paid with their life (thinking they were saving some baht) .

Go and read Gaybutton's experience at a government hospital after a recent car accident.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:31 pm The whole experience was depressing and I took pictures and then left.
I'm sorry you had that kind of experience. I haven't personally had to use Sirikit Hospital, but I did take a farang friend there who was having a urological problem. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The doctor spoke limited English, but the medication he prescribed relieved my friend's problem within a week. I took him a second time for a follow-up appointment and that experience was just as pleasant.

I don't remember how much it cost, but I do remember we were both surprised at how inexpensive it was.

For us it was an entirely pleasant experience. So far, yours is the only negative report I've ever seen about Sirikit Hospital. I really don't think your experience typifies the kind of experience most farang have had there.

I would not compare the treatment I received after the accident at the Lad Krabang hospital with Sirikit Hospital. It really is not a valid comparison. While they are both government hospitals, Sirikit Hospital is an entirely different thing, totally different from Lad Krabang. Lad Krabang is more on par with Banglamung Hospital. Comparing Lad Krabang Hospital to Sirikit Hospital is like comparing McDonald's to Au bon Coin.

I concede most government hospitals I've heard about and seen for myself are zoos where I would never want to have to go, but not all. I think Sirikit Hospital would be fine for minor problems, but anything beyond that - I'd say it's for people who just cannot afford a private hospital.

You said you took pictures. Took pictures of what?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:52 pm You said you took pictures. Took pictures of what?
Me in the waiting room and it was like a zoo. Pics of Thais and their family members, some on gurneys or wheelchairs. I found it depressing and left. Side benefit is it is a Navy Hospital and there were cute Navy personnel walking around in tight uniforms.

A friend who lives near Suvarnabhumi also had a major road accident and was taken to Lad Krabang. Broken ribs and collarbone, stayed a day or two, was released on got all follow-up treatment at Bumrungrad.

About the aforementioned price increases, I have no issues with them if this will help with the hospital's bottom line so we, retired expats, are not effectively forced to purchase and participate in the government's Long-term Insurance scheme.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:21 pm About the aforementioned price increases, I have no issues with them if this will help with the hospital's bottom line
I wonder how much help it will actually be. I doubt all that many farang even use Thai government hospitals, at least not by choice, unless they live in areas where nothing better is available.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Up2u wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:31 pm I went to Sirikit along with my bf about five years ago. Both of us registered and I was charged double the price as was posted on the sign. Not a pleasant experience at all. My bf was treated so rudely by a nurse that he didn't even wai her. I had a serious foot ulcer and went through the pre-exam routine. The signage is all in Thai and English skills extremely limited.

I sat there for hours in a huge waiting room with many Thai people wheeling their sick family members in wheelchairs and on gurneys. The whole experience was depressing and I took pictures and then left.
Up2u, I'm not doubting your experience for a minute and sorry you had such a bad go of it. If you left the hospital before seeing the doctor, I'm assuming you didn't receive a payment invoice for anything except your pre-exam. The reason I'm curious about this is because the 3 pre-exams I've been through over the past 5 years at Queen Sirikit cost about as much as a McDonald's hamburger.

It sounds like your experience in that large waiting room is what turned you sour, and admittedly, it's not fun. Like all military hospitals (anywhere), they lack any frills or modern conveniences, and yes, you will see patients being carted around on gurneys as you described. For medical services which are fairly low, or possibly medium risk, there is a lot of money to be saved regardless of how much money a person has, but these are the kinds you inconveniences one would have to face.

Every doctor I have come into contact at QS was on rotation from Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, with the exception of the anesthesiologist who assisted the surgeon during my leg surgery who was resident at Bumrungrad which is rated as one of the top international hospitals in the world. All of my interactions with the nurses and doctors were pleasant and I can't remember once being treated rudely by anyone.