Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Anything and everything about Thailand
gera

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by gera »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:32 pm
a447 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:16 pm If I could not eat the local fare most of the time, I wouldn't choose to live there. For me, food is a deal- breaker.
If you live in BKK, Pattaya, CM. etc. there are so many international restaurants that if Thai food was not your thing you would have little problem finding alternatives to the “local fare”.
in fact, "local fare' in Pattaya is not that good. I love good Thai food but finding good Thai restaurant is not that easy. I do not eat from street stalls, since do not consider this food safe (it is tasty though). When I mentioned that Western food in Pattaya is more expensive than in USA, I ,of course, did not mean that restaurants in Pattaya are more expensive than in USA. I mean if you buy Western products in foodstores (cheese, sausage, imported fruits) they are MUCH MORE expensive than in US.
I do not want to brag about my bf, but I believe he will take care of me in case of emergency. To give an example, I had a finger infected on my arm
this trip and the doctor did not allow me to moisturize it. My bf completely washed me every day for quite a few days. He also cooks for me, cleans condo etc. He volunteers for all these shores... He is my major reason for coming to Thailand...
gera

Post by gera »

In my view, it is very difficult to give an advice about retirement in Thailand. People have different circumstances and priorities and everybody should decide for himself. I had enjoyed living in America since 1989. This is a true land of opportunities and remains to be. Unfortunately, things start changing and not to the better. I cannot imagine retiring in America anymore...
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:25 pm
Dodger wrote: Two posters here have alluded to the fact that being alone in Thailand when suffering some major medical catastrophe (or, kicking the bucket)
“Kicking the bucket” is the easy part however, a medical catastrophe such as a major stroke are two different things. I know you and your b/f. Do you really think he would be capable of caring long term for you?
If I suffered from a major medical catastrophe where I needed long term care (meaning, years, or a lifetime) I would never put him through that.
I would transfer to a senior care facility (in Thailand).

If I suffered from something where there was a light at the end of the tunnel in the recovery process (meaning, months not years) then yes, he is fully capable and I would fully trust his care. He was field tested in 2014 when I went through major eye surgery, and again in 2018 when I had to undergo vein surgery on both legs rendering me unable to care for myself during the 6 week recovery process. There is no one on earth who could have possibly done a better job than he did.

Living alone without a partner in Thailand certainly has its advantages as we've discussed many times. One of the sacrifices of course, is not having someone who really cares for you by your side when you need it the most. You can't have your cake and eat it too, as they say.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Out of curiosity, I wonder if any of this Board's readers made the decision to move to Thailand without having visited more than, say, two times?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

gera wrote: I do not want to brag about my bf, but I believe he will take care of me in case of emergency. To give an example, I had a finger infected on my arm
this trip and the doctor did not allow me to moisturize it. My bf completely washed me every day for quite a few days. He also cooks for me, cleans condo etc. He volunteers for all these shores... He is my major reason for coming to Thailand...
If need be can he be on loan :?:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

I have just checked through this thread for something I did not expect to find - and indeed I did not.
I have lost count of the number of "Thailand is not what it once was" threads that I have read on various message boards. Not once have I ever seen anyone write "I have been here 20 years and I am not what I once was"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

ceejay wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:18 am Not once have I ever seen anyone write "I have been here 20 years and I am not what I once was"
And that surely is the most perceptive comment in this and other threads. Thinking back, I am sometimes amazed at how I have changed - part due to ageing, part to experience, part to a changing outlook on life.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:03 am
gera wrote: I do not want to brag about my bf, but I believe he will take care of me in case of emergency. To give an example, I had a finger infected on my arm
If need be can he be on loan :?:
Here are a few options:

Option A
Z-Breeze Senior Care Center in Bang Saray (10 minutes from where I live): VIP room, with 24/7 nursing care (if needed), doctor on duty, all meals (includes western meals), clothes cleaning, TV/WIFI, recreational facility, 3 massages per week, and an office for handling your visa renewals for you without having to leave the premises. All for 50,000 baht/month. If you can handle Thai food and don't require a VIP residence the cost is less. A friend from my building visited Z-Breeze a while back and was really impressed and is considering this for his mother. According to him the buildings are very nice, clean, and modern, beautifully landscaped grounds, friendly outgoing staff, peaceful setting with constant ocean breeze. There are other similar Senior Care Centers scattered around Thailand which offer similar services for similar prices. I know Geezer stayed at one in Chiang Mai and gave it very high marks.

Option B
Return to your home country and force your problem on friends or relatives that you hate, or, check yourself into Lady of Our Saints Nursing Home where, after taking all of your money, they will completely ignore you, treat you like a three-legged dog in a homeless shelter, feed you garbage for food, and leave you to look out the windows 24 hours a day at a bunch of hunched-back half-dead people sitting around a dirty pond waiting to die.

Option C
Find a live-in male nurse (no training required) and pay him 20,000 baht/month to pick you up off the floor after you've fallen and give you a hand job when you're up to it (meant literally). All kidding aside, there are also services which provide live-in nursing support.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

There are several similar care facilities just outside Chiang Mai. One of my client's friends stays in one, he loves it there and I am told the monthly fee is slightly less than the one Dodger mentions. I am not sure if this is a link to the same one. It was awarded The Most Outstanding Care Resort in the World in both 2016 and 2017

https://www.careresortchiangmai.com/index.php?viewID=3
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

That place offers luxury care and not likely to be inexpensive, at all!