Stay Hydrated in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Stay Hydrated in Thailand

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:43 pm
I presume this is a proper filtration system that takes out bacteria & so on...
Yes, the unit I purchased also has UV protection which filters out 99.99% of bacteria and viruses.

My friend, who is an expert on this (I'm certainly not), says the extra filter which provides UV protection is extremely important, especially in Thailand.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Thank you for bringing this up. Not drinking enough water is a crime I have been guilty of. In my case I really mean water, as 90% of my liquid intake is water, and only the occasional fruit juice.

When I first came to Thailand, I guess I consumed 5 liters of liquid per day; but now getting used to the climate, when I'm at home only 1-2 liters, and when out travelling 2-3 liters.

A word from a chemist (me!) on the so-called "water quality tester". From reading the article by Richard Barrow, I guess it measures conductivity and calculates amount of dissolved ions. That says very little about water quality! Other than distinguishing fresh water from salt water, this number is pointless in judging potability of water! It does not measure bacteria, pesticide, acid/base, suspended solids.

You could argue that is measures purity (but only accounting for ions), but purity does not indicate if the water is potable because the nature of the impurities is much more important than their number.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Agree with you, Christian. Basically a waste of money.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I have seen doctors on TV (more than one) pointing out that everyone should consume a couple of litres of fluid a day and this need not be only water -- all fluids, tea,coffee, beer, squashes and water all count towards the total. Only spirits were excluded but I doubt that many of us drink a couple of litres of vodka a day.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Bangkokian wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm I have seen doctors on TV (more than one) pointing out that everyone should consume a couple of litres of fluid a day and this need not be only water -- all fluids, tea,coffee, beer, squashes and water all count towards the total. Only spirits were excluded but I doubt that many of us drink a couple of litres of vodka a day.
I've never heard a doctor or health expert say this, especially in reference to beer, because alcohol causes dehydration. Fruit juices, sports drinks, milk, etc. are OK towards the total.
deanagam

Post by deanagam »

It has been quite a while now since I started drinking distilled water apart from boiled filtered water, and have never felt better.
Big bottles of distilled water can be delivered to the customers for bulk purchases, but one has to deal with the plastic containers.
Investing in a kitchen water distiller will take care of the guilt from buying bottled distilled water in plastic containers.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Saying beer counts towards your fluid intake is ludicrous. You're going to end up dehydrated & hung over, which is the exact opposite of what we are trying to achieve by drinking water.

Also, sports drinks tend to be full of sugar, so should be avoided at all costs, unless of course you happen to be into long distance running or something like that. When I see fatties out for a run, they are invariably moving slowly AND clutching a bottle of some coloured drink in one hand. I suspect these losers consume more energy from sugar on their run than they expend. Probably on their way to self inflicted type 2 diabetes.

Fruit juices contain sugars, so whilst some juice is probably good for you, drinking most of your 3 litres as juice would probably be bad.

Coffee is supposed to be a diuretic, so an excess of this is probably bad too.

I would have thought aiming to take at least 80% of your 3 litres as water would be good. 0% as sugary energy drinks. Perhaps some coffee and juice.

I have about 3 cups of coffee a day & try to keep my fruit juice intake below 300ml. Beer is consumed for pleasure, not for water content.

I rarely have any drink with unfermented added sugar - possibly about 1~2 times so far this year.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 pm I have about 3 cups of coffee a day
Those of you from the UK - what happened to tea time . . . ?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:37 pmThose of you from the UK - what happened to tea time . . . ?
Customs evolve & tastes change. [As we have seen in the US, where guys have gone from swimming naked to wearing baggy swim shorts in 50 years].

Besides, I find tea disgusting and would rather drink coffee or water.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Jun wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 pm Saying beer counts towards your fluid intake is ludicrous.
You may have not seen this (and many others may not too) but that is irrelevant.
I HAVE seen it more than once on UK TV.

Tell me are you a doctor?