How long will Sunee plaza survive?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: How long will Sunee plaza survive?

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 pm And yet in comparison both Boystown and Jomtien Complex were hardly ever raided. Weren't there a significant number of boys there using yaba too? I've never really understood why Sunee Plaza was so singled out.
From what I understand, a large majority of the mules (those who deliver drugs from the dealers to the end users) during that period worked in Sunee Plaza. Many of the ladyboy mamasan's who ran the bars back then were deeply involved, as were many of the bar managers. The boys in Jomtien and Boyztown were primarily "users", and the Bangkok Task Force was focused on the bigger picture, i.e., major drug dealers, mules, and others who supported the drug trade network. For this reason, Sunee Plaza became the primary target.

It was during this same period in time when the underage boys who used to frequent Sunee Plaza simply vanished in the night, as well as a time when many of the farang punters who were regulars in Sunee disappeared from the scene as well.

That, in my opinion, is the # 1 reason why business in Sunee Plaza started spiraling downhill. The fact that the Thai baht strengthened has absolutely nothing to do with this. Gay farang would strap on flippers and swim across the oceans to get here if the scene was like it was prior to 2011.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I went to Nice Boys last night, I drove past the former Eros and up the side past all the closed bars where Krazy Dragon was and in my opinion Sunee has not survived, the few bits and pieces left no way make up a viable gay destination.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:26 am in my opinion Sunee has not survived.
I'm not prepared to write off Sunee Plaza just yet. I was wrong before, but that doesn't mean I'm always wrong. The way I see it, the survival of Sunee Plaza depends on just one factor - money. If there are customer numbers enough to support the gay venues still operating, then while it is hardly a shadow of its former self, Sunee Plaza survives - unless Madame Sunee won't renew leases and sells out. If there are not enough customer numbers, then Sunee Plaza is doomed.

While I'd love to see Sunee Plaza not only survive, but eventually make a comeback, there's not much evidence at the moment that it will.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:38 pm While I'd love to see Sunee Plaza not only survive, but eventually make a comeback, there's not much evidence at the moment that it will.
Out of curiosity when was your last visit to Sunee?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:22 pm Out of curiosity when was your last visit to Sunee?
I can't remember exactly - a few weeks before that auto accident. Since the accident I have been recuperating at home. Until I get a new car, which hopefully will be very soon now, I don't get out very far other than to the hospital appointments and short distances. Until I am fully recovered, the last place I would be interested in going would be to a bar - any bar.

In any case, even when I do go to Sunee Plaza I very rarely go to the go-go bars and did not go that night. For me, even the best of them just don't appeal to me anymore. I much prefer Jomtien Complex these days.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Does anyone have any clue why Madame Sunee does not just sell up? She is 'sitting' on a huge amount of land that presumably could be split up and sold to several developers. Even though Pattaya is clearly overbuilt, the rentals she is now receiving cannot in any sense justify the value of the land remaining unsold.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Last night I was sitting on my balcony just staring into the tree's, and without any conscious effort, found myself deep in thought about Sunee, the wonderful memories it holds, and the role it played in my coming out and experiencing "Freedom" for the first time in my life.

The song below was playing in my minds background:

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Nice Dodger......I think I need a drink :!:
Dimsumbear

Post by Dimsumbear »

There is a similar discussion at another message board. The world is changing. I still remember spending an hour or two at an Internet cafe is a must throughout my stay in BKK, and now an iPhone will suffice. Yes, hook-up apps like Jackd, Blued make things much easier these days. Yet it is alluring to see a group of eager boys on stage trying to score an off.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

gera wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 pm I do not see any decline in girls bar scene.
This is not exactly correct all the go go girl bars near Pattayaland closed , many other bars at other soi's shutdown . now the main action for the straights is concentrated at walking street .there are many reasons for this the main I can think of : the official policy to turn the city
to families tourist destination, depletion of western expats, falling numbers of tourists due the strength of the Baht and less girls willing to work at bars because the strength of the Thai economy.