How long will Sunee plaza survive?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: How long will Sunee plaza survive?

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:14 pm The army gave him many “fun” suggestions which he implemented, different each day of the week......have you noticed he is not in business anymore?
At least he tried. That bar was All-of-Me. It was a beer bar, not a go-go bar. I agree with RichLB. If I enjoyed going to the go-go bars, then I would be going. But now they are little more than a display. That does not appeal to me. I remember when going to the go-go bars was truly a lot of fun. As far as I'm concerned the fun factor disappeared years ago.

Some want to blame the customers for not coming. I've said it many times in the past and I still believe it - I think the problem is the bar owners. If all you are going to do is present boys standing on the stage, excessively loud music, overpriced drinks, and unreasonably high off fees, then that's not going to attract me or my business. I don't know if I'm speaking for anyone other than myself, but if you're not going to give me a better reason, a much better reason, than that to trek to the go-go bars, then you're not going to get my business. It's been quite some time since the bar owners have gotten my business and that's why. Same old-same old is not going to do it.

While I'd truly love to not only see Sunee Plaza survive, but make a comeback, I don't think it is the responsibility of the customers to show up merely for the sake of saving bars that just don't do anything to make it fun and attract customers. If the bars want to survive, I think it's their responsibility to do whatever it takes to attract customers, not the responsibility of the customers and potential customers to save the bars.

Bar owners, give me a good reason to come and then I'll be there. But quite frankly, speaking only for myself, if you don't do anything to save yourselves and eventually go out of business, I doubt I'll even notice.
painai2

Post by painai2 »

Home Bar in Jomtien sure does bring them in for their Bingo nights. So special nights can work.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:I remember when going to the go-go bars was truly a lot of fun. As far as I'm concerned the fun factor disappeared years ago.
Sunee’s revival would be swift if it was full of gogo bars with naked boys doing different routines on stage also gogo bars should not try to be all things to everyone you need ones that cater to those that prefer twinks and others that prefer manly types. Drinks and off prices need to be reasonable and something like a discount card given in low season to locals.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:12 pm something like a discount card given in low season to locals.
I think that could be an excellent marketing tool. Whenever I am taken out for coffee, lunch or dinner by Thai friends, they always seem to have a stack of discount cards and always choose somewhere they can be used.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:10 pm
Some want to blame the customers for not coming. I've said it many times in the past and I still believe it - I think the problem is the bar owners. If all you are going to do is present boys standing on the stage, excessively loud music, overpriced drinks, and unreasonably high off fees, then that's not going to attract me or my business. I don't know if I'm speaking for anyone other than myself, but if you're not going to give me a better reason, a much better reason, than that to trek to the go-go bars, then you're not going to get my business. It's been quite some time since the bar owners have gotten my business and that's why. Same old-same old is not going to do it.
And I think you are 100% right...

And that was exactly the reason Eros now failed, bad management.
How many times did I not sit with a boy in Eros being the only customer in the bar, and all other boys including waiters sit outside the bar smoking cigarettes and chatting with each others, and then I see customers coming in alone and have a look at the empty bar and turn around and walk straight out again. No one bothered to greet them inside.
Even when having customers inside sitting and drinking the staff would go outside sometimes leaving the customer completely alone in the bar with nothing to see or do except for quickly finishing their drink and leave...

Many evenings I saw Winnerboys full with customers and boys and very fun, boys getting tips and drinks. Then move on to Eros and a good crowd of boys sitting outside but no customers at all in the bar.

For me it was very obvious why Eros failed and just as obvious that they did not have to fail but could have been just as succesful as their neighbour Winnerboys if they had put in some effort.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:12 pm
Sunee’s revival would be swift if it was full of gogo bars with naked boys doing different routines on stage
Indeed. I don't believe those who claim there isn't enough customers in Sunee to have a succesful bar. Niceboys and Winnerboys proves that customers are willing to come there if the bar is a fun place to be. Niceboys even attracting thai ladyboys who come to enjoy with the lads. Also increasing numbers of chinese men coming there.

Also a few of the beerbars in Sunee put in a good effort in making the customers feel welcome, and it is obvious that is rewarded with loyal customers who keep coming back.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:10 pm For me it was very obvious why Eros failed and just as obvious that they did not have to fail but could have been just as succesful as their neighbour Winnerboys if they had put in some effort.
I agree. Winner Boys is quite successful and the owner runs it right. That bar gets the bulk of the go-go bar customers in Sunee Plaza. The remaining go-go bars ought to take a close look at how Winner Boys is doing it, but apparently they don't.

In addition to the reasons you listed for the failure of Eros - reasons I agree with - I think another factor is at Winner Boys the owner is present. At Eros the owner was almost never there. Even when he was, he never did anything about the horrible toilet facilities and not much more about the general cleanliness of the entire bar. No excuse for that. I'm surprised the bar wasn't condemned years ago on that basis alone. If someone does take over that location, imagine the cleanup job waiting for him.

If Eros does eventually reopen at a smaller venue, maybe they'll take better care of it.

I'm also wondering, given so many Sunee Plaza venues now vacant, what Madam Sunee's plans are. I'll give her one thing - if she even has any plans, she does a fine job at keeping them a secret.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Jomtien complex is doing fine and Sunee Plaza is in decline, Maybe that's life things change and we have to accept it and cherish the good memories we have from Sunee Plaza and move on.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

rocket wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:52 am and the fact that all the workers are of legal age has made many former customers not as interested in going there.
There have been no under-age boys working in the bars for many years now and the few bars that would hire them have also been long gone - long before the present decline began. I don't see how that would have anything to do with it. The only such bars that I recall were the Amigo Pub, Playboy, Boys Studio (or Studio Boys - I never did get that right), and Gentlemen Club. If there were others, I don't remember them.

Speaking for myself, my age is no factor in my enjoyment of going out. I go out frequently, but bars are not my priority. I, for one, don't need to depend on bars and drinking to have a good time. If a pool table and a bottle of whiskey satisfies you, wonderful. For me, to put it mildly, neither are included as part of anything I would enjoy.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Now that I hang my hat in Bang Saray versus Pattaya I've adopted a much more laid back lifestyle. I'm up at dawn and in bed at dusk and rarely go out late at night.

When I do feel the urge for some nightlife, like Rocket, I'm content in Sunee with a pool table and some music playing and a few cute boys hanging around to liven up the atmosphere. Forest House and Green Chairs Bars can sometimes be fun later at night.

I always make a visit to Nice Boys when visiting Sunee just to say hi to Beer and Mack and a few of the waiters I've known for years more than anything, although, never stay long. Winner Boys is more my style, but every time a boy asks me..."where you come from"?..."how long you stay Thailand"? I just wanna shit.