The Lion King Broadway Musical in Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

The Lion King Broadway Musical in Bangkok

Post by fountainhall »

Rather than have this caught up in the Lion King movie thread, for those interested The Lion King stage musical with music by Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice (Rice wrote the lyrics for Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar and Evita) is coming to Bangkok in September. Show dates run from 14 September until 13 October. Tickets have been on sale for many weeks now and some dates are pretty much sold out. But when I got mine a couple of weeks ago, I was still able to get decent seats without paying the top price. Apart from the sides in the front 5 or 6 rows, all seats have excellent views of the stage.

Like all imported musicals the tickets are expensive - Bt. 1,500 to Bt. 5,700. But anyone who has seen the live musical will know it is an amazing experience. The production is at the Muangthai Rachadalai Theatre in the Esplanade Shopping Mall. This is close to one of the exits at the Thailand Cultural Centre MRT station.

https://www.thaiticketmajor.com/thelionking/?lang=en
fountainhall

Re: The Lion King Broadway Musical in Bangkok

Post by fountainhall »

My bf and I went to see the show last night. He absolutely adored it. The two comic characters of Timon and Pumbaa, the meerkat and the flatulent warthog, were absolutely hilarious. Overall I thought it was excellent and only fractionally less visually spectacular as when i saw it in Sydney many years ago As far as I could make out, virtually all of the cheaper seats were sold out but there was an acre of space in the stalls where the top two prices were very undersold.

I'd encourage everyone to take their bfs. But note there is no simultaneous translation projected at the sides. So if his English is limited, it will really help if he knows the movie version. The show is at the excellent Rajadalai Theatre in the Esplanade Mall until October 27. The Esplanade is only a few steps away from one of the entrances to the Thailand Cultural Center MRT station. Tickets from https://www.thaiticketmajor.com/thelionking/?lang=en
Dodger

Re: The Lion King Broadway Musical in Bangkok

Post by Dodger »

Thanks Fountainhall.

I have friends who just left for Bangkok to see the show yesterday and sure they will return with very fond memories.

I'm looking into getting tickets now as well, but waiting to hear a bit more about the seating arrangements. My partner Jay has never seen a stage show before, and this will be a fabulous introduction for him. He also understands English very well - so no problem there.

Thanks again