Use of the terms "boy" and "boyfriend"

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Use of the terms "boy" and "boyfriend"

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:54 am your boyfriend would probably prefer being called "your boyfriend".
Yes, not manfriend.

fountainhall wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:43 pmPersonally, I actively dislike the use of husband and wife in any gay relationship or marriage.
Surely it should be husband and husband ?
Montree

Post by Montree »

About ten years ago I had an accident and had to go to hospital in Pattaya. My Thai boyfriend “Non” who was then 33 went with me.

A nurse asked my nationality and produced a form in English which she filled out as I answered her questions. It got to a section about anyone accompanying the patient and she asked “Relationship?”. Non replied emphatically “Boyfriend” and the nurse wrote it down.

The whole idea that there was any other word to describe him is ridiculous.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Montree wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:26 pm The whole idea that there was any other word to describe him is ridiculous.
Along with that, I think the whole idea that there even need be any other word to describe him is ridiculous.

Dodger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm The Lone Ranger's trusted sidekick "Tonto"
I'm shocked! You called him "sidekick." Why, how utterly offensive! I'm horrified, appalled, dashed, and gobsmacked. The internet police ought to immediately arrest you because you did not refer to him as "companion", "assistant", "helper", "partner", or some other less blatantly demeaning term.

Hmmmm, I think Mr. Peabody always referred to Sherman in a terribly demeaning way too . . .
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Montree wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:26 pm It got to a section about anyone accompanying the patient and she asked “Relationship?”. Non replied emphatically “Boyfriend” and the nurse wrote it down.

The whole idea that there was any other word to describe him is ridiculous.
But doesn't "boyfriend" have a very broad meaning?

A "boyfriend" could be someone you have been dating for a short period.

Isn't there a better term for someone with whom you have a long-term, probably live-in, and possibly monogamous and very committed relationship. I prefer "lover".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:17 pm Isn't there a better term for someone with whom you have a long-term, probably live-in, and possibly monogamous and very committed relationship.
Why? What difference does it make what term you use as long as both you and he are happy with it? I fail to see any reason to look for alternative terms.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Additional questions:

(1)
In the "Gay World" section, we have a discussion of "Grandson of Lee Kuan Yew Marries His Boyfriend".

If a person marries his "boyfriend", is he still a "boyfriend", or does he become a husband or spouse?

(2)
Is it appropriate to call a distinctly elderly boyfriend --say some over 75 or even over 85 -- a "BOYfriend"? Doesn't English have a better word? Native speakers of English please help!
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:24 pm
Why? What difference does it make what term you use as long as both you and he are happy with it? I fail to see any reason to look for alternative terms.
Gaybutton, what you wrote makes perfect sense.

Nevertheless, we sometimes might need alternative terms.

I have a dear American friend who always refers to his lover as "my sweetie". I found this term strange, especially the first time I heard it.

Whatever terms that want to use for and with each other is fine with me. They seem to have a very good relationship.

But when I refer to his lover, I do NOT say "your sweetie" but rather "your lover".
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

werner99 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:25 pm (1) If a person marries his "boyfriend", is he still a "boyfriend", or does he become a husband or spouse?
I doubt if anyone continues to call his partner "boyfriend" after formal marriage. Some do use the terms "husband" or "wife" although I have never worked out why. I have also never come across "spouse" used in the context of gay men but i expect some may use it. I believe most will refer to a marriage partner simply as "partner".
werner99 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:25 pm (2) Is it appropriate to call a distinctly elderly boyfriend --say some over 75 or even over 85 -- a "BOYfriend"? Doesn't English have a better word? Native speakers of English please help!
I cannot think of one - other than "my lover" or "my partner".
werner99 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:35 pm when I refer to his lover, I do NOT say "your sweetie" but rather "your lover".
I have heard friends call their lovers/partners "honey" and other such endearing terms. It is highly unlikely that any friend, even a close friend, will use such a familiar term as "sweetie", "honey" and so on about the friend's lover/partner. If the two friends have known each other a long time, it might perhaps be said very occasionally, but only in a joking way.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Fountainhall,

Thanks for the answers from a native speaker of English. Much appreciated.

And I enjoy your many posts!
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

OK, from now on I'll be using male Homo sapien or H. sapien.

How about:
Lads, short for laddy and lassy, too Scottish for me
Chaps, too British
Dudes, too Californian
Mates and Blokes, too Australasian
Guys, as in 'Guys and Dolls', too Broadway-ish
Gentlemen callers, too antebellum
Youngsters, too Ed Sullivan

I know a farang that calls them all nippers.