Use of the terms "boy" and "boyfriend"

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: Use of the terms "boy" and "boyfriend"

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:08 am
windwalker wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:57 pm Unless, maybe, you are an American Southern "cracker"
Southern "cracker"? Isn't that a derogatory term . . . ?
Yes, of course, southern cracker is derogatory and that is why I used it as an example.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

windwalker wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:12 am So many times in Thailand I hear , I had the "boy" . . . . .
What confuses me about what you're saying is that everyone around you in Thailand, including of course the Thais themselves, us the term"boy" as you have emphasized above. This being the case, it's obvious that this is acceptable in Thai culture. For a foreigner to come to Thailand and say that they are not using the proper term will of course fall upon deaf ears, unless in fact the foreigner expects an entire culture to change because of his opinion. Proper becomes Proper when people decide it is Proper.

Jay and I are in Bangkok right now attending a fashion competition where Jay is competing as one of the finalist's. Throughout the two day event Jay introduced me as his "partner", which is the term we're most comfortable with. Many times during the event I heard the young men on the camera crew, lighting crew, stage handlers, and those assisting the fashion designers with their garments, referred to as "Boys". The people using this term included those from Thailand's HISO community. The fashion designers were referred to by name, but all the young men working the event were referred to as "boys" by everyone - consistent with the way young men are referred to across the entire Kingdom.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:12 am People simply refuse to refer to adult male Thais by their proper names/nomenclature.
If you don't know the person's name (or can't pronounce it), what would be the proper nomenclature? What word would you use?

windwalker wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:19 am Yes, of course, southern cracker is derogatory
Oh well, that certainly beats some of the names I've been called . . .
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I'm no Thai language expert, but in Thailand when Thais speak to a person younger than themselves they use the word "nong" and when conversing with someone of their same age they use the word "pee" and when conversing with someone of indeterminate or higher status, they use "khun". When we say Thais call one another "boy" I think they are giving the closest translation of "nong" as is available. But, note "nong" is used for both genders and is not perjorative and often a mark of affection.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

To raise the tone of the conversation somewhat, this rather reminds me of the old Mae West joke. When entering a Boardroom she saw all her underlings standing like an honour guard before her, briefcases in hand.

"Well boys! What are you waiting for? Open your briefs and let's see your credentials!"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Trongpai wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:09 pm What's all this LBGTQ binary, non-binary, cis-something or the other and who here is a Q but not a G?
Interesting point. I wonder if I am the only one who objects to the Q having been added relatively recently. "Queer" was a highly pejorative term when i was growing up. Even today i cringe when I hear it. I have an intense dislike of being called 'queer" But somehow it has re-emerged into the lexicon of gay descriptions, I assume by folks who did not live through all those "faggot" "queer" "pansy" years.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

windwalker wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:12 am
Boy oh boy, this tread is getting a lot of attention. )
Yes, and I wonder why.

I find this discussion fascinating because I have always been interested in languages and learning the nuances of words.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

fountainhall wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:37 am "Queer" was a highly pejorative term when i was growing up. Even today i cringe when I hear it. I have an intense dislike of being called 'queer" But somehow it has re-emerged into the lexicon of gay descriptions, I assume by folks who did not live through all those "faggot" "queer" "pansy" years.
I agree with Fountainhall.

Gays and non-gays under 35 seem to use "queer" a lot. But the term makes older folks over 65 cringe.

Terms have different meanings and nuances for various age groups.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't even like the word "gay." Why should it be necessary to assign a label to someone's sexual orientation?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Notice a common theme in the following bar titles:

Boystown
Toy Boys
Funny Boys
Kawaii Boys
Dream Boys
Happy Boys
Euro Boys
Nice Boys