Use of the terms "boy" and "boyfriend"

Anything and everything about Thailand
TomUK

Re: Use of the terms "boy" and "boyfriend"

Post by TomUK »

I am calling my current Mr. Right 'Boy', regardless of whether we are alone or not. I don't do this because I disrespect him. It just happens to be his nickname. I can imagine that this might lead to misunderstandings in Western society, but that's a bridge I'm going to cross after it has been built.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Jun wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:52 pm Notice a common theme in the following bar titles:
Boystown
I have not been to Pattaya in decades (I like Bangkok), but isn't there a Pattaya bar called "Boys, Boys, Boys"?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

werner99 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:08 pm I have not been to Pattaya in decades (I like Bangkok), but isn't there a Pattaya bar called "Boys, Boys, Boys"?
Yes...Still operating in Boystown.
Bucknaway

Post by Bucknaway »

There's also a movie title Boyz in the Hood and starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence but it's recommended not to call either of them a boy.
Montree

Post by Montree »

A few years ago I used the term “Partner” to refer to Non on Facebook. He didn’t understand it and I had an awful job explaining it’s exact meaning. To me it had a connotation of a greater commitment to him than “Boyfriend”. However, he didn’t like “Partner” and I’ve gone back to calling him “Boyfriend’ ever since.

Unlike a lot of Thai Non isn’t shy with farang and will engage complete strangers in conversation when we are in our hotel. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve found him talking to someone and pointing at me and saying “Boyfriend me”.
Bucknaway

Post by Bucknaway »

Boyfriend is a term of endearment used the world over. An older man calling a younger guy is boy or posting on a message board that you can find boys in Thailand is a different story. Especially with Thailand's reputation for attracting pedophiles.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bucknaway wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:45 pm An older man calling a younger guy is boy or posting on a message board that you can find boys in Thailand is a different story.
Why? Do you truly believe pedophiles need message boards to think they can find what they're looking for in Thailand, or anywhere else in the world? Do you think calling them something other than boys will deter pedophiles? You can't be that naive.

What word would you prefer to use?
Bucknaway

Post by Bucknaway »

They don't need them but they use them and they can hide in the open when they use the term boy the way the some use the term boy when talking about the boys or young boys they have sex with.

It's just reinforcing the perception of pedophilia.
Like when someone is looking at your phone and a message pops up asking you to send pictures of the boys you had sex with in Thailand. You may get a visit from the FBI and you can explain how boy is just a term for old legal guys haha.

This is just my opinion. Don't get triggered please.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bucknaway wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:46 am You may get a visit from the FBI and you can explain how boy is just a term for old legal guys haha.
Then you better be very careful when you visit Thailand. If you go to any bars that include the word "boys" in the name of the bar, the FBI may be waiting for you at the airport.

And you better be even more careful than that. Here you are, posting on a message board on which people talk about boys. Boy! Are you ever in trouble!!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Bucknaway wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:46 am This is just my opinion. Don't get triggered please.
To your point, I always avoided using the term "boy" when back in the U.S. In general conversations with friends and family members about Thailand, I would simply use terms like "guys" or girls". In my Email communications with friends back in Thailand I would do the same, for the mere fact the term "boy" could potentially be misinterpreted in western culture as meaning an underage guy as you suggested. When in Thailand, the term "boy" is clearly understood, acceptable, widely used, where misinterpretation of the term is of no concern.