MRT New Stations Open Today

Anything and everything about Thailand
KeithAmbrose

Re: MRT New Stations Open Today

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Thanks both. I sleep quite well anyway. I agree that getting frustrated about the way things work here does not enhance my life, but I still find it helpful to raise the issues. Makes me feel better. I won't talk about the single platform at Saphan Taksin!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

KeithAmbrose wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 pm 1) I like your comment about 'should'. It applies to Skytrain which 'should' have more carriages
2) are there any plans to simplify ticketing, odd to have two different ticketing systems on Skytrain and Metro.
3) producing a passport to add money to your Rabbit card seems crazy. .
Join the club of those bewildered by seemingly idiotic decisions and non-decisions in Thailand.

1. Requests for more carriages on the Skytrain network have been made to the BTS operator for years. It is not only at rush hours that trains are packed. Especially on the Sukhumvit Line I have often tried to get on to trains in the mid-afternoon and become a sardine. No one in the BTS management seems to accept that after extending the original Line by many more stations and that when Makkasan died as the end of the rapid express from BKK (as did the Express itself), it was perfectly obvious to everyone else that passenger numbers would skyrocket. Add to extra passengers the suitcases and backpacks taking up space now that many more airport passengers using the Phayathai interchange to access the Skytrain system. It's crazy - but it's Thailand!

2. I am not sure if there are any definite plans yet. There have certainly been talks - and then more talks - and then more talks - need I go on? The latest I heard was that there may be a common ticket by 2021 - but I will believe it when I see it!

3. Yes, it's crazy - as is the reason given by the BTS authority for introducing it. Believe this or not, it is to stop money laundering!!! Since the Rabbit card can be used in many retail outlets now, some bright spark thought that buying a stack of Rabbit cards might be a way of individuals hiding ill-gotten gains. Since the maximum limit on each card is Bt. 4,000, it is patently ridiculous. Yet the BTS authorities believe it's a good idea.

Incidentally, I topped up my card a few weeks ago at Phayathai station. I had my passport ready and asked the clerk if he needed it. He waived it away. Didn't even look at it! Welcome to Thailand!
KeithAmbrose wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:55 am I won't talk about the single platform at Saphan Taksin!
Ah! Another problem that no one can solve. Originally the Silom Line stopped at Wong Wan Yai - only two stations across the river. As I understand it, a station was never intended at Saphan Taksin. Since the BTS could not afford a double track across the river, they decided to start that single track before the Line arrived at the river. Then too late someone realised that there was a need for an interchange to all the river traffic. So Saphan Taksin ended up after the start of the single line operation. Around 2012 it was announced that more land would be purchased, the existing station demolished and a new one constructed with two tracks. They are still talking!
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Thanks for all that info. I will be back in November when nothing will have changed! I still like the place, though!
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Actually, when I was here years ago, when Skytrain started, I though the terminus was Saphan Thaksin, hence the single platform? I am not sure when the bridge was built. Perhaps others know?
pong

Post by pong »

Yes, Keith, that's right, the original=privately owned (hence the all-over to squeeze out as much money as poss) was Sapan Thaksin and that bridge was there a long time before-for cars and buses. That thus was the reason that its only 1 track and now an enormous bottleneck. For a while they wanted to close it off and use the platform to lay the other track, but its enormous popularity for touristy-changes to the Chao Praya boats made this too cumbersome (one would have to walk for nearly a KM then).

The original BTS is still private, the extensions at now 3 sides are not owned, but leased [or so] by the BMA=Bangkok Greater London imitation.
AFAIK, dear f-hall, the plan to widen Span Thaksin was shelved as it turned out too costly-the whole bridge would about have to be built new.
In Kuala Lumpur they have also meddled for many years with what started as privately built/run various skytrains, but finally they scraped the money together and the city [or maybe state] bought it all out (but then there they only made big losses) and it's now a system they are trying to integrate but with one fare card etc, incl. even the state-run local electric railways.
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Pong, thanks!
pong

Post by pong »

And more to come!
Of course on the 5/12 both BTS and MRT extended!
BTS further north till Kasert, this peice is free for 1 month and also BMA owned.
The full trip from Kasert to Keha Pak Nam takes 71 minutes and cost 59 bt. BMTA citybus 129 also runs between the 2, but via expressway and cost 10 bt/red bus or 23 bt/orange AC. Kasert is pretty close to DMK airport, but not quite and now also gets a direct A1 blue airlinkbus.
The govmt. ownd MRT, owned now by BEM=expressway (this makes the money for the lossmaking metro) was extended on its western loop from Tao Poon till as far as Sirindorn, free shuttle only from 10-16, but the whole loop is to open to Ta Pra-where as in Tao Poon with purple line it connects with the other side, like a big P lying down. Max fare on 1 line is 42 bt, to connect into purple line max fare is 70 bt. Half price for seniors >62, or 65? Show any ID and buy at window, not from machine. All MRT stations now have giant maps with all the planned BKK raillines on them. This new piece crosses the river and there you can look at the new Thai parliament being built in very slow pace.
From a point of view for gay places-it seems that many close down a week or so before these extensions open up. LIke cruising sauna near Major along Phahonyotin, before Seed and HI-Club in Nonthaburi for pruple line, And more. So these new lines cannot bring you to places that were too hard to reach before.
Jun

Post by Jun »

pong wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:56 am Kasert is pretty close to DMK airport, but not quite and now also gets a direct A1 blue airlinkbus.
Where are you getting the bus route info ? I would like to check bus frequency and alternative buses.
Presumably the A1 no longer runs to Mo Chit ?

In recent years, I've normally gone to Mo Chit and have usually taken a 29 bus, as that turned up before the A1. I quit taking the taxi since the first one insisted I should go to Suvarnabhumi and I had one hell of a job to persuade him to turn left for DMK.

Would be good to know the new buses, as my next trip is imminent.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The question I asked, and if it was answered I missed it, was which stop is the Chinatown stop?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:21 am The question I asked, and if it was answered I missed it, was which stop is the Chinatown stop?
Wat Mangkon is nearest to all the Chinese businesses. I actually went one stop further, to the much photographed Sam Yot, walked around the area North of that, then back to Silom.
The very minor disadvantage is that more checking of maps is needed, as the end of line station names for train direction keep changing.