Tobacco Smoking in Gay Go-go Bars and Clubs

Anything and everything about Thailand
werner99

Tobacco Smoking in Gay Go-go Bars and Clubs

Post by werner99 »

I have never smoked tobacco and hate to be exposed to second-hand tobacco smoke.

Thailand seems to prohibit tobacco smoking in hotels and restaurants. As far as I can tell, the policy is enforced quite strictly in these areas.

But what is Thailand's policy regarding tobacco smoking in bars? Some bars, such as Dream Boys, prohibit smoking, and enforce the ban. Other bars allow tobacco smoking, and some bars are full of tobacco smoke.

Is there an official policy for bars and clubs?

Perhaps even if there is an anti-smoking policy, bar owners just chose to ignore it or not enforce it.
Gaybutton

Re: Tobacco Smoking in Gay Go-go Bars and Clubs

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:44 pm Perhaps even if there is an anti-smoking policy, bar owners just chose to ignore it or not enforce it.
Not perhaps. That is exactly what they do. It is against the law for bars or any other enclosed venue to permit smoking inside, but several ignore the law.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Gogo's Bangkok: No smoking Moonlight, Jupiter, Dream Boys Bangkok, Dream Boys Paradisco, Tawan, and recently Hotmale.

The rest are smoking allowed with Screw Boys and Banana on soi 4 the smokiest. Low ceilings and poor ventilation.

No smoking at bars and restaurants inside Silom soi 4. All have outside seating for smokers.

No smoking at any disco, central BKK or otherwise.

How about Pattaya and Chiang Mai. Can anyone provide a full list of the smoking and nonsmoking gay venues?
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Trongpai,

Thanks for your summary of the situation in Bangkok.

Your post on the discussion about "New Go-Go Bars in Patpong" also provided useful information about ventilation.
If a bar has good ventilation and/or air filtering equipment, some smoking might be tolerable to non-smokers....
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:06 pm If a bar has good ventilation and/or air filtering equipment, some smoking might be tolerable to non-smokers....
I don't see why non-smokers have to tolerate it at all, especially since it is against the law. I am a smoker, but I at least have the courtesy to step outside if I want to smoke. I have no respect for smokers who selfishly impose their smoke on other people and no respect for venues that illegally permit it.

If there is a hard part about stepping outside, I'd like to know what it is.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

werner99 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:06 pm If a bar has good ventilation and/or air filtering equipment, some smoking might be tolerable to non-smokers....
That category in Bangkok goes to Lucky Boys only. It's a huge bar with a super high ceiling and lots of ventilation. Unless the guy sitting right next you is chain smoking you'll really not smell a lot of smoke.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:26 pmIf there is a hard part about stepping outside, I'd like to know what it is.
The point is, they don't have to step outside because the bar owners don't enforce the rules and the offending smokers are both ignorant & inconsiderate.

If it's really bad, I suppose the best way to handle this is identify the smoking problem BEFORE buying a drink and then make sure they know why you are leaving immediately. If enough of us do that, eventually they might realise they are losing business.

I have tried a similar approach in bars with really excessive music volumes, although those bars have long since failed.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:53 pm If enough of us do that
That's both the problem and the point. Enough of us don't do that. If enough did, the bars would have put a stop to the illegal, inconsiderate smoking long ago.

Even though I smoke, I don't appreciate smoke blown in my face any more than non-smokers do.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

werner99 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:44 pm
Some bars, such as Dream Boys, prohibit smoking, and enforce the ban. Other bars allow tobacco smoking, and some bars are full of tobacco smoke.
Welcome to Thailand.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Some years ago there was a bar named Solid in Bangkok, close to where Super A and Golden Cock are now situated. A friend and I were regular visitors on a Sunday evening. Soon after those visits started 3 large 'No Smoking' signs appeared in the bar presumably to comply with a relatively new law against smoking inside premises open to the public. Needless to say, the smoking by some customers did not stop.

One evening, I was pissed off at one farang who was not only smoking himself. He had bought drinks for the 5 best looking boys in the bar and they were all drinking and smoking. My friend and I considered leaving, but I tend to be more stubborn. I walked over to the customer, pointed to the 'No Smoking' signs and asked if he would kindly ensure the law was obeyed. He was extremely pleasant and immediately had all the cigarettes put out.

A few minutes later my friend warned me that this man was coming over to our table. He assumed it might be to pick a fight. It was anything but. He thanked my friend and me for being regular visitors, pointed out that he was the co-owner of Solid and added that if he enforced the law he would have to close for lack of customers. To be fair on him, there never were many customers in the bar and it did eventually close. At that time, though, smoking was very common in most of the bars, despite the law.