Be sure your TM30 is filed with Thai Immigration

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: Be sure your TM30 is filed with Thai Immigration

Post by fountainhall »

travelerjim1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 pmWhat you enter on the Immigration form on arrival is not acceptable. The TM30 is required to be filed within 24 hours of your entry into Thailand. It can be done online. But need to set up online access
As usual with some Thai regulations, this appears ridiculous. If an address listing an apartment number and the apartment name and address is completed on the arrival form, Immigration has all the info it requires and this is entered into their computer system. Why on earth does it need that exact same information on another form beats me? What is the point of requiring an address on the arrival form if that address - Hotel or another - gets to them by the TM 30 route?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

fountainhall wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:53 am
travelerjim1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 pmWhat you enter on the Immigration form on arrival is not acceptable. The TM30 is required to be filed within 24 hours of your entry into Thailand. It can be done online. But need to set up online access
As usual with some Thai regulations, this appears ridiculous. If an address listing an apartment number and the apartment name and address is completed on the arrival form, Immigration has all the info it requires and this is entered into their computer system. Why on earth does it need that exact same information on another form beats me? What is the point of requiring an address on the arrival form if that address - Hotel or another - gets to them by the TM 30 route?
Technically according to the law governing the reporting of foreigners, the foreigner is required to file Form TM.28 whereas the owner of the property where the foreigner stays is required to report them on Form TM.30. For both, the requirement is for it to be filed within 24 hours (which usually means the next business day if Immigration office is closed).

However, in practice, it depends on the Immigration Office with jurisdiction for the address where the foreigner is staying. For Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration, they do not want to see the TM.28 -- but they are enforcing the filing of the TM.30 -- if staying at a hotel, the form is usually filed by the hotel - doing it online. But, if staying with a friend, in your own condo or renting a condo, etc., then the owner/house master/possessor is required to file the TM.30 within 24 hours. If a TM.30 is not on file and you go to Pattaya Immigration for some service (extension, re-entry permit, 90 day reporting, residency certificate, etc.), then the Immigration Officer may (they do not always do this based on reports from some and not others that they were checked) check the TM.30 database -- if none on file, then be prepared to have service requested to be denied until it is done -- in some cases, they contact the owner and have them do the filing and fine them -- in other cases they have the foreigner complete the form, file it, and pay the fine - guess what, the foreigner can be considered the possessor and thus should have filed if the owner, etc. did not.

BUT - if you are a retiree and are returning from an out of Thailand trip to the address previously reported, Pattaya Immigration does not require a new TM.30 be filed. Likewise, for trips within Thailand (from reports I have seen, apparently this also goes for any foreigner, not just retirees) and returning to an address previously reported.

Confusion, yes. The key is the policy of the Immigration Office you are dealing with. A friend of mine who owns his own house (company name) decided to check with Pattaya Immigration before his annual extension of stay was due (he has lived at his address in Bang Saray for several years, but never filed a TM.30). He was told yes, he needed to file it. He did so, smiled and said no fine. He did not fine for him not having previously done it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:47 am He was told yes, he needed to file it. He did so, smiled and said no fine. He did not fine for him not having previously done it.
Maybe the officers who have to deal with this nonsense think it's as absurd as we think. Once again I'd like to meet whoever comes up with these rules and forms. I'd have a few questions to ask . . .
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

fountainhall wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:53 am
There are expats who do not go directly from airport to condo/home address written on the arrival card. They stay at a hotel first. The hotel registers the guest via TM30.

But when the expat arrives at their condo/home its their responsibility to update their location address via filing the TM30...in person or online if they have set up online reporting with TI.

Its best to confirm the TM30 requirements with the Thai Immigration you are using.... As differing rules are being applied in the 79 TI offices nationwide.

Tj
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I live in my own condo, enter the Kingdom
around 10 -14 times a year, enter my condo address on the Arrival form, never have stayed elsewhere before arriving at my condo - and have never filed any other forms. I prepare a list of my Thailand entry/exit dates along with photocopies of the relevant chops in my passport and provide these with the paperwork on visa renewal to show why there was no need for me to do the 90 day reporting. Within Thailand I travel 4 or 6 times a year. Never once have I ever been reprimanded either for not doing a 90-day report or for not having completed any TM30 forms. So I remain confused!!
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

FH...

At your next renewal...
Thai Immigration will NOT process your Extension
of Stay until they also have confirmation the TM30 has been filed.

You can do it online each time you return to Thailand. Need to set up online access to the website to do so...a password with be sent you upon its website use approval.

But first must visit your Thai Imm Office to get your address on record for the TM30. Though you can try online.

REGISTER ONLINE ...
TO ACCESS YOUR REPORTING ONLINE....

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/
ttps://www.facebook.com/groups/139592032073183 ... 246615430/

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24 ... FNHOTELREG

https://m.facebook.com/groups/139592032 ... 8&__tn__=R

https://www.thethailandlife.com/tm30-guide

Tj
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Again, I am confused about immigration rules. I have lived in my condo for 7 years and I rent from an American who lives overseas. I've never been asked for anything other than a letter from the condo manager that I am a resident there. I have no idea if my landlord ever filed a TM30. On top of that I don't have any way to contact the owner since I just pay the rent to a Thai guy who comes around once a month. How do I find out if a TM30 has been filed and what do I do if it has not?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:51 am How do I find out if a TM30 has been filed and what do I do if it has not?
If you have lived there 7 years without immigration asking you for the TM30, then why worry about it? Besides, it's the landlord's responsibility, not yours. If he has not filed it, as the renter you don't have to do anything. It's the landlord's problem, not yours. If anyone would get into trouble, it would be the landlord.

I've lived in my house, which technically is rented, ever since I retired and moved to Thailand. I've never been asked for a TM30 and unless immigration ever asks for it, I'm not going to open a can of worms by mentioning it to them. If they ever want it from me, I'm sure they'll let me know.

As the renter, all you have to do is the 90-day address report.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

RichLB wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:51 am How do I find out if a TM30 has been filed and what do I do if it has not?
Immigration will have a record of this on computer, if you really want to ask them. If there is no TM30, then they will probably fine you and demand you get one done. To do this;

They may allow you to self report even though you are not the owner. That is actually a good result - because once you have started doing that it is easy to resubmit if you leave the country.

You could speak to the Thai guy who collects the rent. If the owner completes a proxy document for him, then he can submit the report on the owners behalf.

You could also see if your condo office can do a TM30 on line. I had been living in Thailand for nearly 3 years without submitting a TM30. I asked the condo office if they could submit a TM 30 on line and it went through with no problem. If you do that, you need to get them to do a screen dump to show it has been submitted and accepted because the online system does not produce formal receipts,

Or: if it is anything like the situation that obtained in Chiang Mai, you go to a suitably connected Visa agent who can sort it all out without bothering anyone - for a price.

You could consider leaving this until the next visa extension. Submit that on the earliest possible date. If it goes through - no sweat. If not - you have time to sort it out. There is no certainty you will be asked for it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:44 am They may allow you to self report even though you are not the owner. That is actually a good result - because once you have started doing that it is easy to resubmit if you leave the country.
If he leaves the country, that's one thing. If not, and he has lived there 7 years without being asked for it, I see absolutely no reason for him to start worrying about it now. Again, as long as he does the 90-day address report, there is no sudden need now for him to even think about the TM30.

Again, if anyone really is worried about it, then just do a TM30 form and give it to immigration.

I really don't see why people are making such a big fuss about this. From what I understand, this whole brouhaha is just another worry that has needlessly frightened people.