Mandatory health insurance

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Gaybutton »

Since there has been no new posts on this topic since May 29, I have moved it off the "Announcements" list and it is now a standard topic.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

A friend sent me this video:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

That video is good, but unfortunately still leaves us with the same unanswered questions.

What we know regarding the insurance requirement:

1. It does not apply to those holding an O visa. It applies only to O-A visas.
2. If applying abroad for an O-A visa, you have to meet the insurance requirement.

What we don't know:

1. If your current visa is an O-A, does it apply when you seek an extension?
2. If your original visa was an O-A, regardless of what kind of visa you hold now, does the requirement apply?

The problem is whoever wrote up the new rules in the first place did not make everything clear and still has published nothing to clarify the unanswered questions. I don't believe for a second that they don't know about the confusion.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The video posted above refers people to website https://longstay.tgia.org/ for a list of approved Thai insurance company's offering the new Longstay Visa Health Insurance.

The policies offered under this new scheme are extremely over-priced considering the low amount of coverage and the fact that they will be approving care in State Hospitals only where the cost of treatment is a third of the cost as compared to private hospitals. In short. A total rip off.

It's a good thing the Health Ministry is referring to this new mandate as a "Pilot Program" because they don't even have a crew on board yet.

GB...agree,

Immigration is as lost as we are.

Get your wallets out!
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Dodger wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:38 am ....... and the fact that they will be approving care in State Hospitals only where the cost of treatment is a third of the cost as compared to private hospitals......

Get your wallets out!
Are you sure about that? I would never consider a policy with that restriction.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Dodger wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:38 am The video posted above refers people to website https://longstay.tgia.org/ for a list of approved Thai insurance company's offering the new Longstay Visa Health Insurance
I cannot open that link. Having checked the internet, I think it should be https://longstay.tgia.org

I have only looked at the premiums and benefits offered by AXA. I could not agree more with Doger's comment. For someone in the 71 - 75 age bracket taking the basic Bt. 400,000 maximum hospitalisation plan (although this is not just per year - it is per disease per year - and Bt. 40,000 outpatient on the basis of a maximum of 30 visits per year), the annual premium is Bt. 129,254. That's a ton of cash when the maximum payout per year for cancer treatment is only Bt. 60,000 and daily hospital room and board only Bt. 2,000.

That is certainly a rip off. But I am far from surprised. As discussed on this Board several times, obtaining insurance after 60 or in some cases 65 is not easy and the reason is obvious. On average young people require very little to cover medical issues. Premiums are low. Also on average, those in the 60+ range are far more susceptible to a wide variety of illnesses, some requiring long and expensive care. So premiums reflect not only this but the fact that the Insurance company has not made nice profits from you over the preceding 30 - 40 years.

We may not like it but medical insurance companies are in the business of making profits. I get pissed off that I (and earlier the companies I worked for for outside my own country for 30 years) have been paying premiums and I have claimed back a mere fraction of those premiums. Then again others will not have been so lucky and so the insurance companies have no choice but spread premium levels across a wide range of healthy and not so healthy. It's the sort of risk assessment I'd be hopeless at!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:08 am I cannot open that link.
Thank you for pointing that out. I have corrected the link in the posts.

I also want to know where covering only stays in those horrible government hospitals is coming from. I don't doubt it, but I can't find a source for it.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:57 am
fountainhall wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:08 am I cannot open that link.
Thank you for pointing that out. I have corrected the link in the posts.

I also want to know where covering only stays in those horrible government hospitals is coming from. I don't doubt it, but I can't find a source for it.
I was informed by the Manager of AA Insurance Brokers/Pattaya last month that the newly released Longstay Visa Health Policies will only be approving care in State hospitals and will not be approving care in the more expensive private hospitals. He went on to say that you always want to make sure that any insurance policy you're considering in Thailand includes the statement: "Free Choice of Hospital" for this very reason.

The same holds true for car insurance in Thailand. You pay more for a policy (with any insurance company) if you want the policy to include the provision to have your car repaired at an "authorized dealer" versus some shop that the insurance company selects for you. I paid around 20% more for my car insurance policy to provide this provision. If that provision is not stated in the insurance contract - they (the insurance company) will send your car to a cheaper repair shop every time.

These new Longstay policies are simply designed to meet the minimum requirements for obtaining or renewing a retirement visa.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

fountainhall wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:08 am
Dodger wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:38 am The video posted above refers people to website https://longstay.tgia.org/ for a list of approved Thai insurance company's offering the new Longstay Visa Health Insurance
I cannot open that link. Having checked the internet, I think it should be https://longstay.tgia.org
Sorry for the error Fountainhall:

Drop the "S". The correct address is HTTP://longstay.tgia.org
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Dodger wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:31 pmSorry for the error Fountainhall:

Drop the "S". The correct address is HTTP://longstay.tgia.org
Appologies certainly not required, but thanks anyway. It's odd. When I use http, it automatically clicks over to https. I assume it is the same site.