Retirement Life in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: Retirement Life in Thailand

Post by fountainhall »

I share your thoughts about retiring. I enjoy doing less and having more free time, but not having at least some work to take up some of that time would bore me no end. And I am totally with you re travel. There is little more invigorating for me than spending part of each year traveling - sometimes to old hunting grounds but less occasionally now to new pastures.

One project that you might consider and which took up some of my time last year was self-publishing a book of photographs from around Asia, along with short texts of why I visited and how at least some fitted in to my work travel. The books were only for members of my extended family and friends who really knew very little of my travels (they are not readers of this Board!) and even less about Asia. It was a bit difficult at first, but once I got into the swing of it I got a lot of fun from doing it. I finally realized that a tangible reminder of travels is much more satisfying than having them on a computer site.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Fountainhall,

Thanks so much for your insightful comments!

I will continue to travel to both old and new pastures, including parts of eastern Europe.

I am NOT much of a photographer, so I would not think about self-publishing photos of places I have worked or visited.

By the way: I have very much enjoyed your photos and descriptions of various places. You have a real flair, both as a writer and a photographer.

If and when I do retire, I might try to publish a book about the mega projects that I have been involved with on several continents, and their many problems--including inferior design and construction, environmental damage, corruption, embezzlement of funds, and violation of human rights.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I, too, have debated adding to this thread and finally decided to do so. For those weighing whether or not to retire to Thailand I have a few suggestions/thoughts:

1. Fear of boredom should be illusory. I urge you to develop some hobbies and interests now - don't wait until you retire. For many new retirees the allure of abundant sex can dominate your free time. As surprising as it may seem, even the sex hunt can become so routine as to become humdrum.

2. Learn the language. Don't believe the naysayers. Thai is NOT a difficult language. Sure, you'll be unlikely to be fluent enough to be giving public addresses before parliament, but in no time you'll be able to hold a conversation with just about any local. Don't get hung up worrying about tones, complex grammar rules, or even reading (although that would be useful).

3. This should go without saying. Keep your financial resources to yourself. Being a communal society, Thais share everything - clothes, food, and even money. There's a good chance they simply will not understand why you may be reluctant to do so since you likely have far more than they do.

4. Put yourself out there to meet other expats. Don't let being gay become an excuse to avoid all the straight folks around town. I think for many of us older expats it's difficult to accept that hardly anyone cares about your sexual orientation - Thais certainly don't.

And my list goes on, but I don't want to come across as some know it all. These are just a couple thoughts to help you make your decision easier.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

RichLB wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:59 am
...For many new retirees the allure of abundant sex can dominate your free time. As surprising as it may seem, even the sex hunt can become so routine as to become humdrum.
Great suggestions Rich.

The point that you made in the quote above is really interesting:

The # 1 hobby of the majority of my retired expat friends is the "sex hunt" which definitely consumes most of their time, money, and energy. It also appears to be the source of a lot of repeat problems and stress. It pains me to say this but they appear to be routinely down-in-the-dumps either because the "boy of the moment" is playing games...their money is disappearing faster than they would prefer...or maybe just because the merry-go-round is making them dizzy. In any event, the life of a butterfly can be great fun but doesn't come without a heavy cost.

For me, that's what my holidays were for and I have absolutely no regrets, but now that I'm retired and calling this place home I prefer a bit more normalcy in my life. To your point, the sex hunt can (and did) become routine and humdrum. One alternative is to find the right partner. The rewards can result in...no games...better sex...better control of money...no merry-go-round...better balance, and most importantly, being able to enjoy the things that should be categorized as "actual hobbies" without being constantly distracted by the lure of "the hunt" and the delusion that typically accompanies it.

Buddhist's believe that the primary source of all our pain and suffering is the result of our desires. Sometimes I wonder if they're not right.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:03 pm One alternative is to find the right partner.
Finding the RIGHT partner is probably a very good idea & you seem to have that.

However, I imagine that getting it slightly wrong and picking a partner who turns out to be unreliable & troublesome is probably way more stress than a new boy every day. I don't know what the ratio of good long term experiences to bad is.

Disclosure: The closest I get to "long term" is offing the same person about 10 times in 6 years & on holidays of 1~3 months only, which include travel around the region. Considering spending longer in Thailand now.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:38 pm Disclosure: The closest I get to "long term" is offing the same person about 10 times in 6 years & on holidays of 1~3 months only, which include travel around the region. Considering spending longer in Thailand now.
There is no way that you can know as a tourist vs. someone that actually lives as a retiree in Thailand.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:47 pm There is no way that you can know as a tourist vs. someone that actually lives as a retiree in Thailand.
That is why I always recommend that for at least the first year after retiring in Thailand to make sure you have an escape route - somewhere to go - if it turns out that Thailand was not for you after all. Be very careful about burning the bridges too soon.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 pm
Undaunted wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:47 pm There is no way that you can know as a tourist vs. someone that actually lives as a retiree in Thailand.
That is why I always recommend that for at least the first year after retiring in Thailand to make sure you have an escape route - somewhere to go - if it turns out that Thailand was not for you after all. Be very careful about burning the bridges too soon.
I also recommend do not buy. Only rent so as you are not tied to a property should you want to leave!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Don't worry, you are preaching to the converted on both those points.

I shall be trying progressively longer trips before making any permanent commitment AND will not be rushing out to buy a property there. Possibly never buying one.

The only thing that MIGHT hurry me along in severing ties with the UK would be the election of Jeremy Corbyn. I'm not having him tax my modest retirement funds & redistribute it to all his indolent riff raff supporters.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

I bought property and do not regret it at all.The exchange rate was about 52 baht/pound when I did so and now it is around 40. If I had been renting, that would have increased costs by about 25%. I have been protected against that, at least as far as housing costs go.