Bar Raids Again in Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Bar Raids Again in Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

There is a report on the Sawatdee forum that the police have been raiding the bars again in Boystown, Sunee Plaza, and Jomtien Complex, corroborated by several follow-up posts. See: https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthre ... mtien-Raid.

I put a question mark in the topic title only because I have not been to the bars recently, so I have no firsthand knowledge of these raids and I have not heard about them from anyone I know. But I certainly have no reason to doubt the veracity of the reports.

If anyone has any further information, please post.
Gaybutton

Re: Bar Raids Again in Pattaya (?)

Post by Gaybutton »

I could remove the question mark now, at least for Jomtien Complex. This morning I had breakfast with a farang friend, here on a holiday, who is staying in Jomtien Complex and witnessed the raid.

Apparently the police are primarily going after boys testing positive for drug use and foreign boys, usually Cambodian and Laotian, working illegally in the bars.
fountainhall

Re: Bar Raids Again in Pattaya (?)

Post by fountainhall »

I have rarely been to Jomtien Complex and usually only to Dick's Cafe. I have heard that most of the boys working around there are Lao, Cambodian and Vietnamese. If that's correct, how many boys are left in the various bars?
Gaybutton

Re: Bar Raids Again in Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I have heard that most of the boys working around there are Lao, Cambodian and Vietnamese.
That is true for one bar in particular, but only sporadically in the rest of the bars. My guess is few, if any, were actually caught. Somehow they usually manage to get tipped off and the boys skedaddle.

On the Sawatdee forum topic apparently aussie was in Jomtien Complex and posted:
aussie wrote:I saw about 12 police with motorcycles and two cars parked in the main bar soi around midnight on September 8. They were checking for bar licenses and non Thai bar boys. They focused on two bars and didn't bother the rest. It was over in 20 minutes.

I wouldn't drive a motorcycle or car in that area at night, especially if you had a few drinks at the bars. The police are very busy at present and are setup at two locations near the Axis condo and also the corner of Thappraya and Thepprasit roads most nights.

I wasn't there, but so far I haven't heard about any arrests - not from any farang who witnessed the raids and not from any of the boys in Boystown, Sunee Plaza, or Jomtien Complex. The police are usually quick to make sure the media knows about it if their raids yield anything significant, such as boys on drugs, non-Thai boys working illegally, bar licensing violations, etc.

Up to the time of this post, no mention that I can find at all in any of the Thai media that these raids even took place, much less any arrest information. So, my guess is the bust was a bust . . .

By the way, I have now removed the question mark from the topic title. The raids did indeed take place.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Police raid in Boyztown centered on Cupidol where 6 or so lads were non compliant with Thai citizenship or not had proper visas.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:Police raid in Boyztown centered on Cupidol where 6 or so lads were non compliant with Thai citizenship or not had proper visas.
Were they arrested and carted off?

If these raids focused on specific bars while the rest were left alone, why does the idea of undercover "observers" enter my mind? Wouldn't it be fabulous if that is correct and a day or so before the raids they took some of the same boys off?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The following comes from a source who prefers to remain anonymous, but is in a position to know what he's talking about:
Regarding the police raids mentioned on the forum, Pattaya Police did indeed raid Cupidol on Sept. 1st. I was in the bar drinking with the owner when they came in. The info is correct, they were looking for non-Thai boys, and checked licenses.

7 boys were arrested and taken to the Soi 9 police station for processing.

You might also be slightly interested to know that the government has ordered the police to start randomly checking foreigners passports and visa stamps for overstay. This is currently being done daily as well as random drug tests for meth etc. Always a good idea to keep photos of your front page of your passport, last entry visa stamp, and a copy of your departure card.

To avoid speculation that there are undercover spies sitting in the bars, it’s not necessary. There are few Thai boys working in the bars and the police are already aware of this. Boyztown is an easy target, especially Cupidol, since there is no back exit. Toy Boys had plenty of time to sort out the boys while the police were busy.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Boyztown is an easy target, especially Cupidol, since there is no back exit. Toy Boys had plenty of time to sort out the boys while the police were busy.
I was also there for the Cupidol raid and a few boys got lucky by hiding in the broom cupboard!
Incidentally Toyboys was also raided a few nights later on the 5th, no arrests

TB boys managed to escape out the back through the Serene Alleyway, some had to go to walking street in just their shorts!
(and that's why they wear shorts when they are not on the stage)