Silom sidewalk vendors

Anything and everything about Thailand
readerc54

Silom sidewalk vendors

Post by readerc54 »

Khaosod website reports that sidewalk vendors in Silom and other areas have been removed by police. Never could figure how operators of these small stands realized a profit sufficient to persuade them to put up and take them down most days except Mondays. But being Thailand, I fully expect them soon to be back on the pavement like nothing ever happened. Guess it's a case of SHDD.
Bangkokian

Re: Silom sidewalk vendors

Post by Bangkokian »

These markets occupy a few stretches of road in thousands of kilometres of road in Bangkok.

They add character and attract tourists as well as giving employment to honest low or no income Thais.

The lunchtime customers in Silom were mainly working Thais getting their lunch.

I'm really sorry if anybody has been inconvenienced by a minute or two going about their daily business but I do doubt if many farang complainants (there I go generalising without any proof) have ever been anywhere near the affected areas just an excuse to rush to their keyboards.

Now, Silom having had first its afternoon and now night markets close, is just another boring high street; not another Singapore as some had wanted but just another grimy inner city street.

What is needed is legal and sensible regulation by an honest administration.

No more fleecing of these stallholders by police and tessakij thugs.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I was in Soi Twilight Friday nite, as we left we walked up Patpong to Silom, street vendors indeed were gone. It was erie.
There was a large police presence enforcing the ban. How many people have lost their livelihood and how many others that supply them with their goods are hurt as well, and to what end?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Fully agree that the service and character the vendors add far outweighs inconvenience they cause. And agree that "legal and sensible regulation by an honest administration" would be welcome. But does anyone believe that's a likely outcome in bkk? The fleecing of the least powerful is entrenched.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I recall seeing BIB sweep down Silom one evening and confiscate the weighing scales from produce vendors in vicinity of Convent rd. before ordering all the vendors away. A few nights later the vendors were back but had moved their stands just off sidewalk and into the street. Once police witnessed the resulting traffic chaos, the vendors were soon back on the sidewalk but the "tea" costs probably took a hike as it will this time around.