Careful who you borrow money from

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Careful who you borrow money from

Post by Gaybutton »

There is a gruesome story in today's Pattaya One. I'm not going to publish the photo. You can see it for yourself if you wish.

Debt Collector takes ear as payment

September 23, 2016

At 9.30pm, pm the evening of September 22, a twenty-six year old Cambodian approached a police road checkpoint with blood pouring from his head and holding part of his ear in his hand.

Mr Wandy Sim told officers a friend had attacked him during a row over a debt.

He said he was sitting in his room when his friend appeared and asked for the return of some money he had borrowed.

When he asked for more time to repay the debt the friend became enraged, attacked him and bit part of his ear off.

He has received first aid at Banglamung Hospital and police officers are now looking for the suspect.

http://pattayaone.news/en/debt-collecto ... s-payment/

Certainly there is nothing funny about this, but the story immediately reminded me of a story told by the famous attorney, Clarence Darrow:

"I've always found that most lawyers, including myself, always want to say more than is absolutely necessary. I remember a counsel who was defending a man who was accused of biting another man's ear off in a fight. There was only one witness and during cross examination counsel asked, 'You mean to say you didn't actually see my client bite this other man's ear off?' The witness replied, 'No sir.' And counsel, of course, should have sat down right then, but he was bound and determined he was going to ask one more. 'Well, if you didn't see my client bite the man's ear off, how can you be so all fired sure he did bite the man's ear off?' 'Well sir, I saw him spit it out.'"
Rogie

Re: Careful who you borrow money from

Post by Rogie »

Pattaya One wrote:Mr Wandy Sim told officers a friend had attacked him during a row over a debt.
Some friend! I thought when Thais lent money to their friends, they make a mental note to themselves to be prepared to write it off - or maybe I'm confusing it with Thai:falung transactions . . .

Post-edit: I've just re-read the OP and it was a Cambodian, not a Thai. I assume it was a Cambodian to Cambodian situation: I shudder to think what would happen in financial transactions turning sour between mercurial Thais and ex-pat Cambodians.
Dodger

Re: Careful who you borrow money from

Post by Dodger »

It could have been worse:

There was a story in the news some years back about a Thai girl who bit her husbands cock off for cheating on her. Then, according to the police, the guy went chasing her down the road while she still had his cock dangling from her mouth.

Talk about losing face in front of the neighbors.. :lol: