Smoking banned in all Thai taxis - beginning September 1

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Smoking banned in all Thai taxis - beginning September 1

Post by Gaybutton »

Smoking banned in all taxis

31 Aug 2016

All taxis will be 100% "no smoking" from Thursday, with stiff fines for passengers and drivers who disregard the ban, and all cabs must display "no smoking" signs.

The prohibition is being enforced under a joint campaign launched by the Land Transport Department, the Disease Control Department and the Foundation to Campaign against Smoking.

Land Transport director-general Sanit Promwing said that starting Sept 1 all taxis throughout the country must have a clearly visible "no-smoking" sticker displayed on the front passenger-seat glove compartment.

The campaign aims to make all taxis 100% smoking-free, in line with the 1992 law to protect the health of non-smokers.

He said "no smoking" stickers are available at all transport offices.

Smoking in taxis is totally prohibited, whether the driver has a passenger or not.

Taxis without the "no smoking" sticker will not be eligible for the annual extension of registration.

Taxi drivers whose vehicles do not have a "no-smoking" sticker on the glove compartment are liable to a fine of up to 2,000 baht under the law to protect non-smokers.

Cab drivers and passengers who violate the smoking ban are liable to a similar fine of up to 2,000 baht, while also being liable to a fine of up to 1,000 baht under the Automobile Act of 1979.

People can report violations to hotline 1584 around the clock. They should give information on the kind of taxi, the licence plate number, the driver's name, and the date, time and location of the violation so that legal action can be taken against the violator.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -all-taxis
Maple

Re: Smoking banned in all Thai taxis - beginning September 1

Post by Maple »

How about the government enforcing the Thai law banning smoking in ALL indoor bars and restaurants with A/C?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Maple wrote:How about the government enforcing the Thai law banning smoking in ALL indoor bars and restaurants with A/C?
Actually enforce the law? Surely you jest.

I think the taxi smoking ban has a much better chance at success. First, most taxis I've been in don't permit smoking anyway. Second, the police don't have to raid anything to enforce this one. They'll catch violators as they drive by. I have my own guess as to where most money collected from fines will end up . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

This new provision has the same chance as the one prohibiting talking on a mobile phone while driving a motor vehicle. As for the smoking law you need not be concerned as you have the ability to leave or not enter the establishment at all.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I once had a taxi driver who was smoking with open window (had I noted, I would not have gotten in). I haven't been in taxis many hundred times, smoking in taxis is a non-issue.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I checked into a hotel in Golden Colorado last week where I've stayed many times during my work assignments. The girl at the front desk, knowing I was a smoker, said she was sorry but the hotel no longer permitted smoking. Being the type of person who just adapts with the changing times - I walked directly across the street to a head shop, purchased 1/8th ounce of Acapulco Gold for $38 and smoked a dooby.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Smoking is smoking, whether cigs, cigar, pipe, or pot so a no-no in hotel rooms if there is a no smoking policy. Although smoking on a balcony probably wouldn't cause a problem unless complaints from adjoining balconies.