All of Me and All of Me Too bars close permanently as of August 30

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

All of Me and All of Me Too bars close permanently as of August 30

Post by Gaybutton »

I am very sorry to have to report that both Sunee Plaza's All of Me and All of Me Too bars will close permanently as of the end of the day, Tuesday, August 30.

Despite the efforts the owner, Gary, has put in over the past couple of months, trying to provide activities and events, customers just have not been going to Sunee Plaza.

The loss of two more bars is not going to be helpful to Sunee Plaza's bar scene, but I am still optimistic that Sunee Plaza still can be at least close to what it used to be if during high season enough customers come and effectively kick start Sunee Plaza and give it the boost it needs.

Some say Sunee Plaza is in its death throes and some say both Boystown and Jomtien Complex are not far behind. In my opinion, those are "the glass is half empty" types. I say "the glass is half full" and can continue to get fuller.

I truly hope this year's high season will attract enough customers to restore Pattaya to the gay paradise it was only a few years ago. I'd hate for Pattaya's gay bar scene to become only a memory. We'll see what happens during the upcoming high season.
Alex

Re: All of Me and All of Me Too bars close permanently as of August 30

Post by Alex »

I think this is the end of the line for Sunee Plaza; the remaining bars might survive the upcoming high season, but I doubt there will be any future beyond that.

I'm not at all pessimistic with regards to Boyztown, things looked quite promising there during my last visit despite the low season. I cannot comment on Jomtien as I haven't visited for years. But some reports did sound upbeat as well.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:But some reports did sound upbeat as well.
If you turn out to be right, it's going be Boyztown for gay go-go bars and Jomtien Complex for gay beer bars. That's what makes me believe Sunee Plaza can still be saved - it offers both.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Odd; the two bars that I observed to be busier than most were Oscar's in BT and All of Me in Sunee. Not only that; these were the bars that seemed to me to going the extra mile to persuade customers to use them. And yet, only three months since I was there, I read that they are both closing. I feel sorry for all concerned. I hope there's a turn-around but how? by who? and for whom?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:the two bars that I observed to be busier than most were Oscar's in BT and All of Me in Sunee.
I haven't been to Oscar's recently, but this evening I was at All of Me. I can honestly say it was the busiest bar in all of Sunee Plaza. The problem is, and I assume the same for Oscar's, they just haven't been busy enough.

Some of us have been saying, in some cases for years, we don't know how these bars manage to survive with few or no customers. Now we're seeing they can't survive forever. Some survive because backers are still pouring money into them despite operating deeply in the red. Sooner or later the backers will probably stop and that will be the end of those bars too.

We can predict whether high season will or will not save these bars, but we really won't know until high season comes. We can only wait and see what will happen.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

It is a shame that there are insufficient customers to make the bars pay. Both bars are well-maintained, clean, and have very reasonable prices. I don’t know what more could have been done to make it viable, but the owner gave it a good shot.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Very depressing news; like the passing of a dear friend.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Daniel wrote:the owner gave it a good shot.
Yes, he did. He tried his best to do things to attract customers, but it's obvious now that one individual bar putting on events is not going to be enough. If the Sunee Plaza bar owners want to save their businesses, I think they're going to have to get together and plan what they can do jointly to attract customer numbers back to Sunee Plaza.

If they do, I believe there's no question they can succeed. If they won't and just let things continue to spiral down, then I too see more bar failures on the horizon. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it's their businesses. They're the ones who have to take the initiative to save themselves if they want to survive and become profitable again. The way I see things happening, it's either that or get the "For Sale" signs ready. They're not going to make it by simply hoping things will improve, but doing nothing to make improvement happen.

This evening I saw, and I'm not exaggerating, mostly empty bars. I went to one go-go bar. I was the only customer there. Other than All of Me, the most customers I saw in any of the beer bars was three. It's sad. In most of those same bars, only a few years ago you were lucky if you could get a seat - even during low season.

Who knows? Maybe the current situation is a blessing in disguise. Maybe those "For Sale" signs is just what Sunee Plaza needs. If a new crop of owners come in, owners who know what they're doing, know how to attract customers, and will make the effort to do it, maybe Sunee Plaza can eventually make a comeback after all.

Also, Take Care - you're going to have to find another venue where you can hold your fund raising quiz nights.
Moses

Post by Moses »

As per my impression from my visits - the only area where business is going better than 3 or 5 years ago - Jomtien complex. BT is in stagnation, Sunee went down. Day&Night not exists anymore.
Local private gay guides and companions
[*] in South East Asia http://siamroads.com
[*] in Thailand http://bkktour.info/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

There was a topic on Sawadtee Forum entitled "is this the beginning of the end" I fear it is the end at least for Sunee Plaza.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"