All of Me and All of Me Too bars close permanently as of August 30

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: All of Me and All of Me Too bars close permanently as of August 30

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:And those who are concerned that the middle easterners might eventually take over Sunee Plaza, that concern might very well be realistic. Madam Sunee is no fool. Maybe the bar owners aren't going to do anything, but I believe Madam Sunee is not about to just sit on vacant venues with no money coming in from them. If gay bars won't fill the vacancies, guess who will.
Arabs taking over the bars in Sunee, I don't know, with the ban on smoking shesha even the Arab bars aren't busy though there is no shortage of Arabs. There is a late nite scene that caters to the Arabs, clubs with music whores etc.

My guess is the future of Sunee plaza doesn't lie with the Arabs but rather with a developer that demolishes the existing structures and replaces it with a new project.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:a developer that demolishes the existing structures and replaces it with a new project.
Like what? New bars? A hotel? A condo? All of which, by comparison to the rest of Pattaya these days, would be brand new empty buildings.

"Some vacation. Six cheap people in an empty hotel."
- Larry Haines (Speed), 'The Odd Couple'
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:
Undaunted wrote:a developer that demolishes the existing structures and replaces it with a new project.
Like what? New bars? A hotel? A condo? All of which, by comparison to the rest of Pattaya these days, would be brand new empty buildings.
The prospect of "brand new empty buildings" doesn't seem to stop new developments, be that as it may, it might make for an interesting mixed use project.
artic55

Post by artic55 »

Many contributors to this post keep saying that what is lacking now is the "Sleaziness" that they used to experience in Sunee, my question is what exactly do they mean.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

artic55 wrote:...what exactly do they mean?
(Being a bit of a pedantic type, I've added a question mark to the end of the quoted sentence!) . . . I'll leave that up to them - not having contributed to this thread until now I can only give you my impressions.

There was a time a few years ago almost every time I read one of the message boards somebody was informing us one or more places in Sunee (usually go-go bars) had been raided. Those kinds of posts went on and off for several years, they were no flash-in-the-pan. Even if I had never been to Sunee that would have told me plenty. Raids on places in Boystown or Jomtien were far less common; (although there aren't any go-go bars in Jomtien so one wouldn't normally expect places there to be raided).
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The raids in Sunee were about ID checks and drugs.

Sleaziness definition also applies to gay bars in other cities. In San Francisco, for example, the South of Market bars were considered to be sleazy being dim, dark, and anything goes attitude as opposed to the bright lights of Polk and Castro Streets. Gay visitors knew about Polk/Castro but had to learn about SoMa. Last century, as a gay tourist I had visited the bright lights BT or Soi Twilight where even the women felt comfortable. Then a friend told me about the Sunee and how to get there. I walked from the BT to the VC Hotel and turned left Soi 17 as instructed. Don't worry it is safe I was told, there were fewer buildings then (no Howard's), no lights whatsoever until you reached a pink light (near the future K Boys) and turned right to Crazy Pub (Kaos was around the corner). The shows unlike sterile BT were explicit(or raunchy) in dimly lit bars, no women. Of course, that changed quickly with new bars popping up faster than 7-11's, but Sunee already had a reputation and I loved it.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote:And those who are concerned that the middle easterners might eventually take over Sunee Plaza, that concern might very well be realistic.
Not sure why that would be a concern. If the boy bars are there no longer then I would have no reason to go into the area and therefore its occupants would be of no interest whoever they may be.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:Not sure why that would be a concern. If the boy bars are there no longer then I would have no reason to go into the area and therefore its occupants would be of no interest whoever they may be.
Very good point. Why didn't I think of that?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Captain Kirk wrote:"And those who are concerned that the middle easterners might eventually take over
Not sure why that would be a concern. If the boy bars are there no longer then I would have no reason to go into the area and therefore its occupants would be of no interest whoever they may be.
Actually it is a bit more complicated than that. Many members of this board choose to live in the vicinity of Sunee, the Arabs have significantly changed the entire surrounding area and from my vantage point not for the better; I can't speak for others, but my condo is for sale "on the cheap" as my love for South Pattaya has surely waned.