Top 10 Gay Friendly Countries in Asia: Thailand is # 2

Anything and everything about Thailand
Maple

Top 10 Gay Friendly Countries in Asia: Thailand is # 2

Post by Maple »

2. Thailand

Thailand is one of the most tolerant countries in Asia in regards to homosexuality. Both male and female same sex sexual activity is legal in Thailand. In terms of gay discrimination, positive changes in attitudes and public policy began to occur in Thailand during the 1990s.

In 2002, the Thai Ministry of Health publicly declared that homosexuality was no longer to be regarded as a mental illness or disorder. In 2005, the Thai armed forces lifted its ban on gays serving in the military. Prior to this reform, gay people were exempted as suffering from a mental disorder. In 2012 The government of Thailand formed a committee with policy advisors and gay rights advocates to draft legal recognition for same sex couples. Thailand is viewed as a tourist friendly haven for gay tourists with gay areas in all the major tourist areas.

Homosexuality has been documented for over one thousand years and had some connections to the Buddhist monastic life. Kathoey or ladyboys, have been a feature of Thai society for many centuries and Thai kings had male as well as female lovers. While Kathoey may encompass simple effeminacy or transvestism, it most commonly is treated in Thai culture as a third gender. They are generally accepted by Thai society and Thailand has never had legal prohibitions against homosexuality or homosexual behaviour.

Source: http://www.asiaguys.net/the-top-10-gay- ... s-in-asia/
Undaunted

Re: Top 10 Gay Friendly Countries in Asia: Thailand is # 2

Post by Undaunted »

I think the statement of Thailand's gay friendliness should be made in the context of it being friendly to Thai Nationals as shown by the amount of gay venues that cater to foreigners that have been forced to close.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:gay venues that cater to foreigners that have been forced to close.
Forced to close for what reasons? As far as I know, they were forced to close because they violated regulations and/or were forced to close because customer numbers have dramatically dropped.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:
Undaunted wrote:gay venues that cater to foreigners that have been forced to close.
Forced to close for what reasons? As far as I know, they were forced to close because they violated regulations and/or were forced to close because customer numbers have dramatically dropped.
Lets just say the costs of doing business became too much, expenses indirectly related.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Israel is in Asia ? That's news to me.
Jun

Post by Jun »

mahjongguy wrote:Israel is in Asia ? That's news to me.
Of course it's in Asia. A quick glance at the map will verify that. Which continent do you think it's in ?

In some sports, such as football, they do compete in Europe, which is simply a political fudge, since they would be unwelcome in a lot of the miserable & retarded countries to be found in their neighbourhood.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
mahjongguy wrote:Israel is in Asia ? That's news to me.
Which continent do you think it's in ?
I can see how some might think Israel is in Africa, but yes, it's in Asia. Of course, give it about 500-million years or so. With earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, and plate tectonics, by then it might be in South America . . .
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

The article is 2 years old and appears to be based on one guy's opinion. Just saying.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Jun wrote:Which continent do you think it's in ?
The article made no mention of continents, and my world-sense is based more on regions, where Israel is in the Middle East. Mention Asians to me and I do not think of Kuwaitis.

Anyway, sorry to distract from the topic at hand. It just seemed odd to me.