12 Years in Pattay&.Then and Now...Part 2

Anything and everything about Thailand
Alex

Re: 12 Years in Pattay&.Then and Now...Part 2

Post by Alex »

That's a great story, a447, the guy you met in 1992 must have been quite well off. I mean, not many Thais living in the countryside back then had either a mobile phone or a landline phone at their disposal. Too bad that you lost his number.
a447

Post by a447 »

Actually, it was his sister 's house. Knowing what I now do about Thailand, I wonder if she had a farang boyfriend.

And no, he didn't have a mobile phone -it was well before they were invented. If mobiles had been invented, I wouldn't have lost contact and I reckon he and I would have ended up in a relationship.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Well but of course mobile phones had been invented already, they just looked a bit bulkier back then. ;)

Thailand in particular has had mobile phones and mobile phone networks since the 1980s, they were just too expensive for regular folks and the network coverage was nowhere near what it's like today.

In 1992, an average of 3 out of 100 households had a landline phone, with a strong concentration of them in Bangkok and a significantly lower rate in rural areas, so that might give you an idea just how well off your guy (or his sister) was.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Rather than this topic morphing off into a dispute about when mobile phones were first invented, or first available in Thailand, the following two articles should settle it. Then, let's please stick to the topic.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/nokia/nok ... all-happen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mobile_phones
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Do you guys remember when all the boys walked around at night draped in gold.

The only gold you see now is an occasional filling in someones mouth.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger Thais love of gold it is the equivalent of having a savings bank and it is just about as liquid as cash....having said that I do not remember any boys flaunting it as they know they are easy targets fo the "Mafia Boys"....One of John Booths' loves was killed for his gold necklace outside a karaoke adjacent to the Day Nite Hotel.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Anyone reading 12 Years in Pattaya part1 should know this is a continuance of that topic.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

CM was my third destination after BKK and Pattaya in 2000. Nothing I liked about the place and only remember Adams Apple as a firetrap. No reason to ever go back.

However my first go go bar in Bankgok, forget the name, was like dying and going to heaven . Nothing like it ever again since it disappeared months later.

Pattaya was more like Hell than Heaven with so many fallen angels to fan the flames of passion and lust and Gentleman Club was number one back then although there were many other places of debauchery.
painai2

Post by painai2 »

I used to enjoy the coffee shop at the Suriwognse Hotel in Bangkok. The hustlers would sit on one side, while those on the prowl sat on the other. It was a great place to cruise while waiting for the shows on Soi Twilight to start.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

painai2 wrote:It was a great place to cruise
Is it still a great place to cruise?