Visa-on-Arrival fees to double for 19 countries

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Visa-on-Arrival fees to double for 19 countries

Post by Jun »

Q:
Gaybutton wrote: Why on earth Thailand would pick now to double visa fees for 19 countries goes beyond me.
A (maybe):
Gaybutton wrote: What ends up happening is relatively few Thai businesses are making much money from their presence.
It is just possible they worked out no money is being made from Chinese tourists & those from the other 19 countries, so they will charge them double for entering the country. Which seems just fine with me.
As long as they recognise the rest of us splash money on hotels, food, coffee, bars & prostitutes, so should continue to get a month's visa exemption, that is all that matters.

As for the Russians, well I thought their main overseas destinations included Egypt & Turkey, with Thailand coming in third or 4th. Since Russia pretty much stopped tourists going to Egypt & Turkey, I would have thought Thailand might have picked up some trade there.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The TAT definitely wants to keep attracting the Chinese hordes, as they are addicted to seeing their (meaningless) total tourist arrivals going up - year after year after year.

Apparently this particular measure was approved by the cabinet in January, so the timing isn't that remarkable taking into account that it took a long time to implement the change (which by itself isn't uncommon). The desired effect is to get more of these tourists to apply for a tourist visa at a Thai embassy or consulate beforehand. They have the choice between a regular tourist visa and a visa on arrival, now the latter doubles in price to promote the former.
pong

Post by pong »

What Alex said about charging for uneaten food also applies to many of the buffet/all-you-can-eat (in 1//2// 2,5 hrsd) that are all run by Chinese around here in Europe. Though its mostly done quite reasonably-not a few left veggies, but more like a steak/fish and then not eaten.
Oh-and its not true at all that the Chines spend that little-in LONdon they are by far the big spenders (they buy all expensive exclusive brandlabels in dozens to resell that at a handsome profit back home-where it would normally cost even much more)-tipically Chinese tourgroups hardly pay for their trip-NOTHING is really included-they are then ripped off later by extra-ordinate overcharging by such restrts etc.-in faxct mny a Thai tourguide has to PAY/make an offer to guide them and then try to retrieve that investment.
See BigC in BKK/Rajprasong when in the eve those tourbuses are unloaded and they buy about the shop empty.