Pattaya - response to bombings and the Pokemon Go craze

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya - response to bombings and the Pokemon Go craze

Post by Gaybutton »

It didn't take long for Thais to get involved with the Pokemon Go craze. As I thought, it's already causing some problems in Pattaya. I have also seen articles that Thai authorities have contacted the makers of Pokemon Go to ask that the monsters, or whatever players are trying to catch, not be placed in certain locations, such as temples, tourist spots, shrines, etc. They gave the makers a week to comply or they would ban Pokemon Go at all in Thailand. They expect Pokemon Go to cooperate, saying they have cooperated with other countries. Also, I understand Pokemon NO-go areas have already been established in Bangkok.

As for police presence, apparently in Pattaya quite a bit of police presence has been set up in downtown Pattaya, Walking Street, and on roads leading into Pattaya. As I said in another post, I have yet to see any police at all other than 1 police officer directing traffic at a crowded intersection. I have not been to any of the areas where police presence has been significantly increased to see for myself.

If any of you have noticed anything in Pattaya, please post your observations.

Police To Prevent Sabotage In Targeted Cities

Pattaya city is currently sealed by police who intensely secured targeted city after bomb attack in HuaHin and Trang.

13 August, 2016

PATTAYA – Recently [PattayaDailyNews]; According to wave of bomb attack in Hua Hin and Trang, Pol Col Trairong Piwphan, deputy chief of Chonburi, went to Pattaya police station and summoned deputy chief and higher officers in Chonburi to discuss about preventive action.

Pol Col Trairong revealed that the police officers seriously seal Pattaya city by intensely inspecting Walking Street during night time. In addition, they would install checkpoint on any road to Pattaya. The officers confirm that the situation is in control and people and tourist has no need to worry.

http://pattayadailynews.com/police-to-p ... ed-cities/

Pattaya Defiant After Thailand Bomb Attacks

by Albert Jack

13 August, 2016

Thai Intelligence Services claimed, this morning, that they were aware of imminent attacks ahead of a series of bombings in southern Thailand over recent days.

However they did not have precise information such as where or when these attacks may take place, what form they would come in or who might be behind them. Fortunately, apart from these trivial details, they were monitoring events closely.

This morning we learned that improvised explosive devices and firebombs were used to attack ‘seven provinces of Thailand between Aug. 7 and Aug. 12,’ as Jaktip Chaijinda just told reporters in Bangkok.

Pattaya stood defiant in the face of terror last night after Assistant District Chief Officer, Mr. Chanatpong Sriwiset, ordered the Candle Salute Ceremony, scheduled to take place at 4pm on Bali Hai Pier, to be moved instead to 5.30pm at Pattaya City Hall. The EOC, Medics and Rescue teams were standing by in case of emergency.

Such swift and comprehensive action is crucial to the safety of Pattayians during these dangerous times.

Meanwhile, in Walking Street, bars and entertainment venues opened as normal. Thais and tourists alike continued to party and told reporters they were not frightened as they placed their complete trust in the security services. ‘We know that they know who is a threat to us,’ one of them didn’t say. ‘Don’t worry, they have us covered. Enjoy yourself, spend some money.’

More worrying was the invasion of Pokemon Hunters. The mindless and the dead gathered in large numbers at Central Pattaya Beach, which has already become a landmark location for the night creatures.

Twenty-seven-year-old motorbike taxi driver, Mr Panupong Jaicheun, is delighted with the latest craze. ‘I start my service in the evening and am now fully booked until 2am,’ he enthused.

He, too, is defiant in the face of terror, despite Pattaya being an obvious future target for those seeking international attention to their cause. ‘Customers pay me money,’ he said.

Another, reflecting the spirit of the whole city, insisted. ‘We are not frightened, we will not be driven away by terrorists. Not as long as we have people to overcharge.’

Last night the Commander of Chonburi Provincial Police called another meeting and instructed all police officers to be police officers.

Story and numerous photos: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2300 ... d-attacks/
Alex

Re: Pattaya - response to bombings and the Pokemon Go craze

Post by Alex »

I happened to be in Pattaya on Friday. While sitting on the terrace at Mulligan's Pub just outside Central Festival on Beach Road, at least half a dozen police vans appeared. The police seemed to set up a checkpoint on Beach Road, but I didn't get the impression that many cars were stopped. More importantly, probably, they then proceeded to stage some kind of roll call on the beach promenade, apparently to show that they are present in force and alert to any threats that might or might not affect Pattaya as well.

Later in the evening, I saw another police checkpoint on Second Road, also nearby Central Festival. But I'm not a Pattaya regular, that might be a regular occurrence and thus unrelated to the incidents elsewhere. The tourist spots that I visited at night including Walking Street were packed, so Pattaya visitors by and large seem to be a fearless crowd. I was out partying myself, terrorism only works if people allow others to terrorize them.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:I saw another police checkpoint on Second Road, also nearby Central Festival. But I'm not a Pattaya regular, that might be a regular occurrence
It isn't. I have never seen a police checkpoint set up on Second Road, not even during crackdowns and coups - so whatever it is, it's not a regular occurrence.

I also just received a report that police checkpoints have been set up on both Pattaya Tai and Soi Wat Boon - and they are stopping vehicles and checking.

I am guessing, since I haven't been to see for myself and haven't heard from anyone, but I would think police checkpoints are also being set up on Pattaya Nua, Thepprasit, and Chaiyapruek.

While it may be inconvenient, I'm glad to see the police doing what they can to try to prevent any such problems in Pattaya. I understand both police and military are patrolling tourist areas, both uniformed and plain clothes.

Again, I suggest either carrying your passport or a good clear copy, just in case.

I don't expect to be in any of those areas today. If anyone can give us further details as to what is going on in Pattaya, Bangkok, along expressways, and other areas of Thailand, please post.
daherk

Post by daherk »

MAKRO is on high alert, you must have patience entering they are mirror checking under all vehicles entering and the line can back up to the street. However if your on a motorbike you zip right in, I guess they never thought of a motorbike bomb. Also when you enter the store the security guard now has a hand held metal detector!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I was at Makro last night with no sign of mirrors.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I was at Makro last night with no sign of mirrors.
What about the metal detector?

Despite the fact that Pattaya has never had a terrorist attack, in this day and age anywhere that is stepping up security gets a thumbs-up from me. I'd much rather be inconvenienced than blown to bits.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

If you, and others, feel better than good. But the fact is that you have no fool-proof protection; armed guards on every door and road-blocks on every soi will not protect you...both Paris and Brussels were on the alert when the latest attacks occurred. And who'd have expected the twin towers to fall? There will always be a weak spot, unless we all become Howard Hughes (s) and lock ourselves in our homes.
I can understand the authorities playing these games to comfort their populations but I prefer to take my chances and do without useless road blocks and twitchy policemen so that I can live freely. I resent seeing armed policemen in London, less rare than it used to be. And of no use because those who wish to attack will just go to the next street....like mine, where there have never been any policemen, let alone armed ones.
But, as I say, as long as people feel happier....
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:the fact is that you have no fool-proof protection
I doubt anyone thinks there is such a thing as foolproof protection. That would be idiotic and naive. Even John F. Kennedy said if somebody wants to get me badly enough, he'll get me. And he said that only a few hours before somebody did.

If a terrorist wants to attack badly enough, whether with bombs or something else, there is no way to guarantee protection. But yes, I do feel much happier knowing the authorities are trying. You call it playing games to comfort the population. You see it that way. I don't. You prefer to take your chances. I don't want to take any more chances than I have to. I prefer them to be out there inconveniencing people, even if I am delayed a few minutes, rather than giving terrorists carte blanche to plant bombs wherever they want. What would you like the police to be trying to do, nothing?

However, you'll probably be the one much happier knowing that since these bombings only police officers I've seen were directing traffic. Other than that, I have seen none at all, not one, anywhere I've been. I hope you're delighted.