Baht Bus Prices

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Baht Bus Prices

Post by Gaybutton »

Be careful on the baht buses, gents. I read too many news stories about pickpocket theft on the baht buses. Make sure your valuables are well protected.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

I've ridden the songteows here for 8 years and still don't know the full story about the rates because the drivers refuse to post the legally-required charts.

Two things my Thai friends assure me:
- There is no legal difference in the price for Thai and farang.
- The price is based on zones, not routes. Riding one truck from Dong Tarn beach to Naklua should be crossing the line at the Pratumnak overpass and another at the Dolphin roundabout.

We've all had different experiences but if I know if I try to pay only 10 baht for riding from Dong Tarn to Central Festival the driver will chase after me.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

mahjongguy wrote:I've ridden the songteows here for 8 years and still don't know the full story about the rates because the drivers refuse to post the legally-required charts.

Two things my Thai friends assure me:
- There is no legal difference in the price for Thai and farang.
- The price is based on zones, not routes. Riding one truck from Dong Tarn beach to Naklua should be crossing the line at the Pratumnak overpass and another at the Dolphin roundabout.

We've all had different experiences but if I know if I try to pay only 10 baht for riding from Dong Tarn to Central Festival the driver will chase after me.
There is no zone at Pratumnak overpass. As mentioned before there is a zone change at Pattaya Klang. This subject always surfaces on TV when a rogue driver stops the bus at Pattaya Tai and 2nd Road and tries to shake down riders for another 10 baht. I have recently ridden the bus to Central Festival, I have my 10 baht coin in my hand, give it to him and walk away, no conversations. I don't give him a 20 baht note and the opportunity to gouge me although I occasionally tip if business is slow and I am the only rider.
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

Gaybutton wrote:Be careful on the baht buses, gents. I read too many news stories about pickpocket theft on the baht buses. Make sure your valuables are well protected.
I hate to admit it, but last week I got on the bus at Dongtan beach for my ride to Thappraya Soi 5. I was tired and set my man-purse (I don't like that term, but it's a fitting description I guess) down next to me on the seat. The shoulder strap was still in place over my shoulder. I was daydreaming I guess. Anyway, when I got back to the room I couldn't find my smart phone. Went back to the beach to see if I had left it there. Nope. I remember a gal sitting next to me in the first part of the bus trip. She got off near Soi Pattaya Park. I don't remember anything about her. But, she must have taken the phone. It was in a zipped compartment, and the zipper was closed when I got home. I had been pickpocketed.

Keep your valuables on your lap with at least one arm over. If you have a wallet in your pocket, be sure you're sitting firmly on it. Stay alert. I didn't. Cost me a bunch.

dumb ass
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

"If you have a wallet in your pocket, be sure you're sitting firmly on it."

I never keep my wallet in hip pocket, always in front pocket. Much safer there.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

jimnbkk wrote:Stay alert. I didn't. Cost me a bunch.

dumb ass
Not dumb ass. Victim. I'm sorry that happened, but it's a valuable lesson for everyone else riding the baht buses. I mentioned often reading about people victimized by pickpockets on the baht buses. I can't even begin to imagine how many of these thefts go unreported. I also all too often read stories about how the thief(s) were caught and it turned out they had been arrested multiple times before for the same crime.

These pickpockets are pros. They know just how to get to a victim's belongings. And apparently they don't give a damn if they do get caught. Just a minor inconvenience and business loss, I suppose, to them. Whatever the consequences are when they get caught, once they're released they're right back on the baht buses scoping for victims - just like the Beach Road and Walking Street hookers who couldn't care less whether they get caught or not. They pay a fine of about 200 baht at the police station and a half hour later they're right back out there.

When riding a baht bus, it's probably best to assume anybody else on the bus is a potential pickpocket thief. If you're careless, then you too might very well get to submit a post similar to jimnbkk's.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Another "victim" here. Was on the baht bus when a small group of ladyboys hopped on. They all chose to all squeeze in on my side rather than spread out a little which I thought a little odd - and annoying. Couple of minutes after getting off I realised my phone was gone. I got my Thai friend to call the number and he relayed the news that it's new owner had fun taking it from me but was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a newer model.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:Another "victim" here.
It is more expensive and some are afraid, but maybe some of you might consider opting for motorbike taxis instead of baht buses. Your belongings are much safer, you'll get to your destination much quicker, and I almost never hear about motorbike taxi accidents.

Another thing you could try on the baht buses - ask the driver if you can sit up front with him instead of riding in the back. I don't know how many drivers will allow it, but it can't hurt to ask.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Going back a few years, I got on a baht bus on Second Road, heading for Naklua. Four women got on, one with a baby. The woman next to me put her hand in my front left pocket. There was nothing in that pocket. Without saying a word or looking at her, I pressed down hard on my pocket, bending back her fingers. She let out a little shriek, rang the bell and the group dismounted. They didn’t pay for the ride, so I was sure that the driver was in on the scam.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

It is truly a bargain and would not bother me in the least if it was raised to 20 baht and they were made to keep the trucks up to a certain standard.