Baht Bus Prices

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Baht Bus Prices

Post by RichLB »

I don't use the baht buses, but a friend told me the price has now risen to 20 baht from the previous 10 baht. I asked my boyfriend and he told me that was right (although he doesn't use them either). Can anyone confirm or debunk this?
Maple

Pattaya Baht Bus Fares

Post by Maple »

Yesterday when I went to Central Festival via a Baht bus, I paid 10 Baht... same-same before.
Oliver

Re: Baht Bus Prices

Post by Oliver »

It's remarkable that the prices haven't risen in the last twenty years...
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I paid 10 baht from Jomtien to Central Festival not long ago. Same as I would have paid last century. The return trip was 20 baht because I had to transfer at Pattaya Tai and 2nd Road. If I originally traveled from jomtien to let's say Big C in north Pattaya the expectation would be 20 baht for a long haul trip.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Baht bus price from Jomtien to Pattaya Klang is 10 baht. Beyond that is 20 baht. From Pattaya to Jomtien, if you are lucky, the Beach Road bus turns south at Pattaya Tai and you get to go to Jomtien for only 10 baht.
pong

Post by pong »

1. it is not right they have not been raised in 20 yrs, they were doubled around 2002 or so.

2.it depends on the ROUTE you take- there are supposed to be fixed lines and as long as you stay on 1 (ONE) line, its 10 bt=f.e. all the way along beach from Dolphin round till Boystown. But as soon as you turn from 1 route into an imaginary other, you pay 2 fares=now 20 bt. so even just round the red lights would qualify for that.

3.as all regulars will know, I am not much of a Pattaya visitor, but I do have read that the giant nr-once-of Russky paying anything and above that also tipping, has also strengthened the drivers to the general idea that whiteys pay anything because it so ''cheap''. CityBUSes in BKK-and you can use them all the line, some go till 30 kms, cost 6,5 bt (half fare for Thai >60) or are free.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The 10 baht fare is sufficient to ensure large numbers of baht buses are available. So no need to increase it.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

I wouldn't grudge paying 20B.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

pong wrote:1. it is not right they have not been raised in 20 yrs, they were doubled around 2002 or so.it depends on the ROUTE you take- there are supposed to be fixed lines and as long as you stay on 1 (ONE) line, its 10 bt=f.e. all the way along beach from Dolphin round till Boystown. But as soon as you turn from 1 route into an imaginary other, you pay 2 fares=now 20 bt. so even just round the red lights would qualify for that.

3.as all regulars will know, I am not much of a Pattaya visitor, but I do have read that the giant nr-once-of Russky paying anything and above that also tipping, has also strengthened the drivers to the general idea that whiteys pay anything because it so ''cheap''. CityBUSes in BKK-and you can use them all the line, some go till 30 kms, cost 6,5 bt (half fare for Thai >60) or are free.
You are wrong about #1, 20 years ago the fare was 10 baht for us tourists to go from jomtien to BT, Royal Garden, etc. (up to Pattaya Klang). Several years back the fare (5 baht?) for Thais only increased but for everyone else it remained the same, 10 baht.

#2 - read lvdkeyes post.

#3 - anytime you stop and talk to a baht bus driver, the 10 baht fare is no longer applies and you now must negotiate. The Russians are learning the trick to just get on the bus and don't talk. The newbies in town are often preyed upon.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Exactly. Paid 10 bht for my first ever trip on a baht-bus...in 1996. And in those days the exchange rate was about 37 to the pound. It's a good deal, particularly at night when the motor-cys are more expensive.