Visa Extension Woes

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Visa Extension Woes

Post by RichLB »

Grrr. I went off to Immigration early this morning to renew my one year visa. Luckily, I thought, I brought my condo lease with me and after taking the pictures and xeroxing the necessary passport pages, I went inside the building to find it near empty. Aha, I thought, this will be easy. Wrong. They looked at all my paperwork and almost as an after thought asked if I had my lease agreement with me. I proudly presented it, the guy poured over it and then announced it was 4 years old. True, I told him. I have lived there for 5 years. Not good enough. They insisted I get an updated lease agreement and wouldn't take "impossible" for an answer. Finally, they compromised and told me to get the condo manager to write a letter testifying I actually lived here. Of course, she wasn't here in the morning so I am now waiting for her to return. This is all new to me. Grrrrrr!
Jogger

Re: Visa Extension Woes

Post by Jogger »

Pity u have been inconvenienced etc. However I do not quite follow. Normally a lease will give a start and finish date. So the document you presented to immigration was expired...or what?
An "expired" lease is not a lease at all....
Its well known that for a while now immigration often requires for the so called retirement visa extension, evidence of proof of address such as a current valid lease and copy id of the landlord etc.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Jogger is quite correct. But, for the last 5 years the old lease was sufficient. It wasn't this time. Ah well, once I got the letter from the condo manager, all went smoothly at Immigration. I was actually impressed with how efficient they have become.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have a feeling this incident was inspired by the recent and ongoing crackdown about visa overstayers. I think immigration not only wants to make sure foreigners are in Thailand with a valid visa, but they also want to have sufficient evidence that where people say they are living really is where they're living and they can prove it.
njjim

Post by njjim »

I renewed 2 weeks ago, and was also asked for additional residence verification. they first asked for a drivers license (which I don't have), but then accepted a copy of my True Visions cable bill which had my address printed on it.
My advice would be to go well in advance of the expiration date so that you have time to resolve any possible problem, and take anything you have which contains your address - it may suffice. Maybe.
Otherwise, as RichLB reported, it was quick and easy
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I've been hearing about these address and lease requirements for years from Pattaya residents only. Here in Bangkok there has never been any such requirement. Maybe I should never say never! In 12 visa extensions and countless 90 day reports I have yet to be asked to show a lease or any address confirmation. I keep such documentation ready but never had to show it, YET?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Anyone with a signed and current lease agreement can use this to obtain a "Certificate of Residency" at the immigration office very easily. I would imagine that presenting this document at the time of applying for a one year visa extension would work well.

I have never gone through the one year renewal process myself so could be talking out of my ass - but don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:but don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.
It would work. That is precisely what they're looking for. That alone would probably work, but I would bring along a bill or two with my name and address on it just to be sure.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Thanks GB...I thought I was missing something.
RichLB wrote:They insisted I get an updated lease agreement and wouldn't take "impossible" for an answer.
Rich, making sure that your lease agreement is current is probably not a bad idea, especially if you're residing in Thailand full time. Having said that, a condo lease agreement which exceeds 3 years is not considered legal unless it is registered with the Land Office. Very few expats I know who have long-term lease agreements bother to do this and never seem to have any problems, but if the day comes that the Thai Immigration staff start getting really technical during these annual visa renewals you could see this come into play.

Below is a reference from Thailand Civil and Commercial Code section 538.

"Under property rental and lease laws in Thailand any property lease (rental with a fixed term) exceeding 3 years must be in writing and recorded on the land ownership title deed (land or condominium title deed) as kept in the registers of the provincial or local land office. If the lease agreement between the parties is not registered with the land office the lease is enforceable by legal action for a 3 year term only. The term of a registered lease agreement cannot exceed 30 years and is automatically extinguished at the end of the registered term. A short term contract does not have to be registered but must be in writing to be enforceable by legal action".
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

From the Pattaya City Expats Club website regarding longstay extensions for retirement:

Proof of residence – Recently, Thai Immigration has been asking for more documentation to
show proof of where you live. Previously, they accepted a lease agreement, rental contract, or
house papers (if you own). But now, they are requiring more: if you rent from a Thai owner, you will be asked for a copy of their Tabian Baan (blue house book) and their Thai ID card –
they may also require that the photocopies be signed by the owner. If you own your
condominium, you will need to provide a copy of the Chanote (land deed) showing you as the
owner. If your residence is owned by your Thai Company Ltd, you will need to provide a copy
of the Chanote showing the company as owner and your company documents showing you as
the Managing Director. We have not yet received any reports of what documentation may be
required if you are renting from a non-Thai owner of the property.