Thailand Expats Daily Spending Poll

Anything and everything about Thailand

What do you choose to spend on food and entertainment?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Between: 0-1000 Baht
64%
1000-2000 Baht
19%
2000-3000 Baht
11%
more than-4000 Baht
6%

Total votes: 36

Undaunted

Thailand Expats Daily Spending Poll

Post by Undaunted »

As an expat living here for 8 years I a have changed my spending ways from the days when I came as a visitor where do you stand? The poll only represents approximate expenditure per day for food and entertainment.
fountainhall

Re: Thailand Expats Daily Spending Poll

Post by fountainhall »

My spending patterns have similarly changed, with considerably less outlay now on entertainment. Averaged over the year, I probably spend about Bt. 1,100 per day - so I have voted in the 1,000 - 2,000 range although very much at the bottom end. I will be really surprised if there are many spending above 2,000 per day.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

fountainhall wrote:My spending patterns have similarly changed, with considerably less outlay now on entertainment. Averaged over the year, I probably spend about Bt. 1,100 per day - so I have voted in the 1,000 - 2,000 range although very much at the bottom end. I will be really surprised if there are many spending above 2,000 per day.
Right. As an ex-pat, more of my budget goes to automobile expenses, the bug-spray guy, healthcare, and a long list of other non-touristy things.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Assuming the allowance for my bf does not count toward entertainment and food, I voted for 0-1000.
jaafar

Post by jaafar »

Since most days involve "zero" spent on entertainment, the question basically asks about food costs only. As we all know, food can vary drastically: even a simple hamburger can cost 20B at the 7-11, 70B at Mike's, and 100-120 baht at Miguel's. Pork fried rice is usually my first meal of the day: 30 baht. In the evening I may order food in, cook food myself, or go out to a restaurant --- all of these run about 300 baht. So you're looking at 500B for food. And that expense could EASILY be held to 200 or less.

On the other hand, when I DO go out for entertainment, that can easily cost 4,000 - 6,000 baht, depending. So I checked the 1000 baht box.

Your poll did not indicate whether booze counted as "food." But once again, are you drinking Chang beer, Dewar's White Label, or imported French wines? There's a huge variation there...
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

jaafar wrote:Your poll did not indicate whether booze counted as "food."
I considered booze under entertainment....Thanks
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Between food and entertainment, my usual daily costs are also under 1000 baht. If I go out to eat, it's usually dinner, occasionally breakfast. I cook at home too. Dinners don't normally cost more than 300 to 400 baht. I don't need an expensive gourmet dinner every night. If I happen to be around Sunee Plaza, I like to stop in at Corner Bar and have a Cappuccino. That's 70 baht. If I'm around Jomtien Complex, I like Question Mark for an after dinner Cappuccino. That's also 70 baht.

If I go to a bar, and I don't go very often, maybe a drink or two and at most two bars in one night. I usually have a gin and tonic. I also don't take boys off very often. If I have a boy sit with me, he gets his tip, of course, so between his drink, my drink, and his tip, that's maybe 500 baht or so. I'm rarely in the bars more than once a week anyhow, if even that often. I'm afraid if the boys see me coming, they'll all quit . . .
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

I was spending in the region of anywhere between 2-4000 per day and on occasions 5, and that excluding hotels, its easily done.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

whitedesire wrote:I was spending in the region of anywhere between 2-4000 per day and on occasions 5, and that excluding hotels, its easily done.
Can you elaborate? That sounds like an awful lot of money to me. How do you spend it all? :shock:
galee

Post by galee »

thaiworthy wrote:whitedesire wrote:
I was spending in the region of anywhere between 2-4000 per day and on occasions 5, and that excluding hotels, its easily done.

Can you elaborate? That sounds like an awful lot of money to me. How do you spend it all?
I could be wrong here, but i think whitdesire has not realised this thread is for expats who are based in Thailand not tourists, he is talking about hotels, which would seem odd for and expat.